Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really shouldnt have taken that 7 year hiatus from riding now im in a bind. I have been hitting up the local MX track on sundays and ive got probably 70 or so hours on my 450 this past season. I have practiced some pretty cool (to me) double jumps and tabletops but nothing like they have at the MX track. My question is, how do you guys get over that stumbling block of that "first time". Those huge doubles are very intimidating. I know you should start off with table tops but you can land short on a table top and worst thing that happens is you flat land and try again - with a double if you fall short you can case the bike and hurt yourself pretty darn bad. Any suggestions to overcoming this concern? Or should I just keep pounding those table tops until I can take them on like the pros and then move onto those big scary (especially being afraid of heights) doubles :(

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm not the best rider by any means at all. In fact I'm always the last person w/the group I ride with to actually end up hitting the doubles. But I don't end up with a face full of dirt and broken bones at the end of the day. I would pound a big tabletop till you feel really comfortable. Overshoot it a little a few times after you feel comfortable to get the feel of falling farther and even landing harder. It's always better to overshoot it than to come up short. (on a double). After that is comfortable, as long as the double isn't too big, just land it the flat in between a few times so you can find a nice spot coming off the jumps that doesn't twist you too bad in the air. Make sure you're not pushing or pulling on the bars and stay on the balls of your feet. ( I usually squeeze pretty tight cause my feet tend to ride about an inch above the pegs in the air
) Also, pacing another quad that is making the double when you try it helps you figure out the right speed. I made the mistake of pacing a dirt bike once, they don't need as much speed! I'm still scared to death of the big ones.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Best thing I found when I started out was following a more experienced rider. You'll find out what gear, speed, and if you need set the suspension. Or just [email protected] it and pin it.

Mike

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I think the first time i hit a double/triple are the best...because of the rush i get...other people think im nutz but i like to try new jumps for that rush then after about hitting em 20 times that novelty wears off and i go looking for a bigger/higher jump....i hit a 100 foot triple already....best rush in the world....till i landed a foot short but thats part of jumping....you take a chance when u hit a jump. Just hit it faster then u think u need to.....thats what i do.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think everyone gave really good advise. I'll single it for a bit, and then talk with someone that has doubled it to find out what gear. The best why i found not to sike yourself out is to follow someone and stay right with them, you'll hit it because you'll feel forced to. Hit the jump with the nose slightly up incase you come up short, this will save your butt.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I've talked to pro's on this very same thing and everything these guy's have said is exactly what the pro said. Over shoot the jump to make sure you don't come up short or follow someone else that know's the jump to figure out your speed. That's it on doubles. Of course if you have a table that is the same size, hit that until you feel confident with the distance!!! Good luck :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the tips guys i really cant wait to get my butt back to the track B) i watched that maxxis video and its gotten me really pumped for the next time i go maybe some time in the next few weeks you guys will see an action shot of me waving at the camera from 15 feet up
:lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
a little off topic but we found some HUGE step ups at Florence,or sand dunes about

a 45ft gap and about 15ft step up.. 4th gear tuned a banshee!!! and YEA talk about

RUSH!!! we got it on tape to !!!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Remember in most cases its better overclear the jump the case it. I was up at rausch creek motorcross park in PA and cased the 45 foot double bye about 2 feet on my 416ex and had to get medivacked and all that b.s. I would always hit the jump alittle faster on your first attempt then you can find out how high it shoots you ect and you can get the feel of how much juice you need to clear it. Always if you can watch people do the jump before you. That day 4 people crashed on the jump 1 before me and 3 afterwards so remember to be careful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea but I'm not too sure on how much "better" it is to over throw the landing because these jumps are pretty insane. The jump throws you a good 12-15 feet in the air and that is just a LITTLE scary if you should miss that landing and kiss the flat ground
I'm going tomorrow to see if I have any gonads so well see how I make out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
One more tip i would like to add is stay on the gas before you land in the flat. if you dont keep forward momentum your face will get a close encounter will your bars. Good luck you are goin get one hell of a rush i remember the first time i hit an mx double and i will never forget it! Oh and do not let off the throttle untill your rear wheel clears the lip. If you let off the gas your front end will point downward rather than shootin you up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
One thing I like to do for dubles is just focus on the landing.As I aproch the jump, I Look at the ramp then the landing.Once im in the air and I know I can stick the landing.I look ahead at the next burm, jump whatever. If its the first time on a jump and im not sure how fast to go,I will find out the distance from jump to landing.If its 45 ft ,I know I need to be in 3rd gear mid throttle,with a romp as soon as I hit the ramp, ect.
Hope that helps
G.

·
Registered
136 Posts
just a tip if u think ur gonna flat land it, get ur head as far back as possible. i didn't quite make a step up and hit my face on the bars. my sig lists the extent of the injury. i mostly ride dunes so i rarely have an opportunity to try any doubles, and when i do, it's all or nothing. all those tips r awesome, thanx.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am having that same problem, I went to a MX track for the first time in very long time. I want to get into racing but I found out yesterday there are some pretty big doubles there. I tried it a few times cased a bigger one pretty bad and since then figured I should work on my turns and the jumps can come later.......

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by crashalot@Oct 29 2004, 12:08 AM
One thing I like to do for dubles is just focus on the landing.As I aproch the jump, I Look at the ramp then the landing.Once im in the air and I know I can stick the landing.I look ahead at the next burm, jump whatever. If its the first time on a jump and im not sure how fast to go,I will find out the distance from jump to landing.If its 45 ft ,I know I need to be in 3rd gear mid throttle,with a romp as soon as I hit the ramp, ect.
Hope that helps
G.
[snapback]27277[/snapback]​
Exactly what I do.....Grow some nuts and HIT IT PUSSY what i always go with.

I've just had good luck with judging speed to make it. Haven't cased anything yet (knock on wood)

·
Registered
510 Posts
The only way i did it was not think about it just follow a good rider and trust your self

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thats what I'm going to do, I had the day off and was riding by myself with a buddy just watching. I will have to go out there with some other riders and let my competative side take over

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been racing mx for 3 years now and have learned a few things about jumping.
1. Ask around in what gear people are hitting the jump in and what throttle postion
2. There are 2 kinds of doubles and triples. The kind where if you case it its gonna hurt(most jumps) and the kind where if you don't make it your getting hauled out in a meat wagon at best
3. Follow better riders when you can over jumps
4. COMMIT- no questioning going up to the jump whether or not your gonna make it. It must be absoulute in your mind(this is where the fine line between balls and stupididy comes into play)
5. Stay loose in the air- many if not most people are froze in the air when they jump. I used to be one of them. Don't be afraid to move to balance and move your quad in the air. I found this helps a ton and makes me much more comfortable.

Start with the doubles that are only gonna hurt if you case them. Try to find somebody who is already comfortable to jump and follow them. Practice moving your quad around in the air over table tops because if you come up short on a double you'll probably want to land with your front end high. Last don't question yourself approching the jump. This could make you let off then second guess yourself and get back on the throttle and not making the jump. Jumping isn't everything i've since races won by people who didn't do all the jumps they where just better riders on the ground.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
DUDE... TALK ABOUT BRINGING IT BACK FROM THE DEAD... this post was 2 years old!!! good info tho.

-Grady

nice find on the thread

·
Registered
197 Posts
thanks for the tips

1 - 20 of 25 Posts