Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever run in to this problem ?
This weekend I put a new piston in my 04 trx450r, after mounting everything I noticed the right side studs are a little bit too short.
The stud doesn't come all the way to the top of the nut

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
How far down are you talking? I can't remember exactly but it seems they are about even on top. Did you remove and reinstall the studs for any reason? All nuts have the correct washers under them?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the last thread on the nut is visible.
I did not remove the studs. I didn't pay attention when disassembling, so it might have been like that.
The washers are the same size for all studs.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,033 Posts
Did the nut tighten up on the stud and thread the stud into the case deeper than it should be? The left rear stud height is shorter than the other three studs by a few millimeters. Did you pull it back apart? You should measure the height of the studs from the case and make sure they are all set to the correct height.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, it must have been assembled like that, because at reassembly I noticed already when I had the nut hand tightened.
I tried adjusting the studs with 2 nuts but no movement. I might leave it like that, instead of risking to break a stud.

·
Registered
29 Posts
thanks, it must have been assembled like that, because at reassembly I noticed already when I had the nut hand tightened.
I tried adjusting the studs with 2 nuts but no movement. I might leave it like that, instead of risking to break a stud.
You WONT break the stud bud, maybe the case half, IF over tightened. Anyway, I would advise going by the book on this one. Reason being first and foremost Premature Head Gasket Failure and/or compression loss.
Assuming you still have it apart. Put a straight edge across the the cylinder and make sure your true and decked.
I would take the studs out and measure them for length to see if 1 or more studs have stretched and replace as needed, then I would chase your case threads and clear any stud valley debris. If their in spec then follow installation procedure. It's not difficult, your already in there, and it will save you time and money from possible head gasket failure. Just my 2 cents bud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts