Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out at Nellis dunes last weekend riding with my similar weight friend on his 2003 CRF450R with a Wiseco piston. We rode around for a while and than I took him to a little drag hill (200 feet). I wanted to line up for kicks. We hit the hill and I pulled him easily, both with knobbies. We raced a few more times and I let off purposely at the bottom of the hill to make sure there wouldn't be any excuses about hook-up, but I still pulled him easily. He stated that at Dumont it would be different and that once he hit 3rd gear no quads could stay close to him when he was running a knobby and quads had paddles. I talked to my friends at church who ride quads and bikes and they said they would destroy me in a race with a 450 motorcycle, they said my quad wouldn't even be close. I told them they were there at the race so they would know (these are the same guys who have yfz450's which I beat everytime we line-up with only a cam and a worn out Duncan fat boy pipe) LOL. I raced a paddled CRF450X before my 05 quad had porting and a 11.5:1 piston and I beat him every time at the large hill at Armargosa. The guy with the CRF450R rides the dunes a lot and is a good rider, but I wonder how it will be when we line up at Dumont?

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
9 times out of 10 the bike will be faster....given similar mods....

even a bone stock CRF450R will beat most HRC equipped TRX's......

BUT.....most bike guys dont get a real good start in the sand......I know...cuzz I also own a CR250R....and they are quite a bit more difficult to get a good jump right out of the gate.....but like your friend said...by 3rd gear they are usually moving along at a mucher quicker pace than us ATV guys......a bone stock CR250R (piped) or a stock CRF450R (piped) is a very fast machine in deed.....never count out a bike.....and especially if you give them a rolling start....or too much room to roam....cuzz they will close up on these ATV's rather quickly.....

now lets not start with our 'stories'....I know there are ATV's that can whoop on bikes....mine is actually one of them.... and I have raced plenty of modded bikes to know that..... however.... USUALLY.... a bike, is quite a bit faster than a quad..... on any given day.... they just need a little more room to open up..... and if the ground is bumpy at all....(whoops)... they are that much better than our quads...... going uphill is a little bit different because of the EASE at which the front end of a bike comes up.....the rider has to be on top of things in order to control a bike, hooked up in sand, going uphill...... its much easier to ride an ATV uphill...or in a drag race for that matter......

jmho...me~

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
a 450 dirt bike should take that race.

and at dumont, its longer so hes' gonna leave you behind even further.

i know mods play a part. im talking stock.

it the dirtbike is runnin paddles at dumont, say goodbye.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
When my 06 had HRC kit, I raced a completely stock CRF450r numerous times up Boxcar Hill in Oregon. We both had paddles. I would pull ahead off the launch... Once I was close to the top of 3rd gear is when the bike would blow by me almost everytime.

Those bikes are fast and tough to beat with a quad.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
don't forget they got another gear too...

just think if the quad had a 6th gear!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,711 Posts

just think if the quad had a 6th gear!!! :thumbup:[/b]

huh?

I got cheated....mine only has 5 gears..... dang Honda.... forgot to install 6th gear into my bike.....

is there a recall for this? lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like I better keep the race to the Nellis dunes which are much smaller than Dumont. Nellis is where we ride most of the time. I will give a report when we go to Amargosa or Dumont. He doesn't have a paddle so we will see what happens with my knobbies and paddles.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Dirt bikes are FAST as mentioned, when I had just ur simple bolt on mods I get whooped a lot by a lot granted up here were racing almost 1000 feet and were flatter,half track ya think wow im doing good then they pass u doing about 20mph faster!..now with my last build a pretty well built 480 id usualy hold most of them off,actually I wouldn't lose too much to anything around here except some rappies and a couple buddies quads..

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
i have a 07 crf 450 with a full fmf pipe and thats it for motor stuff and it will smoke 95 percent of the 450 quads out there 55hp 220 weight is hard to beat

·
Registered
1,025 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Congrats on your wins....and like 450RRR said...getting a bike to hook up and stay flat on launch is no easy task.You will have the advantage on most cases in short races so keep them short.

As for the CRF vs TRX question....think of it this way...they both have almost identical engines (espescially the 06-up TRXs)...except the major differences are...the bikes are much lighter and have a lot less rolling resistance.
Given equal riders,mods and launch capabilities...the bike should win everytime.Now stretch the race distance out...and even an inferior rider and bad start can be made up by the bikes superior power to weight ratio. :yes

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
theres more too the difference then just weight, the crf comes with a better cam, bigger fcr, which all equal more power, then add that the wieght 238 lbs to quads 350ish, and its a no brainer,

the crf has the stuff that the quad should of came with power/mods wise

·
Registered
6,212 Posts

just think if the quad had a 6th gear!!! :thumbup:[/b]
what year crf 450 has a six spped, or 4 speed for that matter? i thought they all had 5 speeds

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts