Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Oregon Coast Powersports
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just split the cases to find out why the thing didnt like going into neutral.

knocked the crank out and found the left side bearing had tried to, or just started spinning in the case.

how much press fit should it have? the case doesnt have any grooves or wear but i want to know what the id of the hole should be.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
what year machine?

the 04/05 have a TIGHT fit.... usually need some heating/cooling and pressing to install.....or better yet.... a bearing press....

the 06/newer require very little effort.... they are kept in place with bearing keepers....and only require a snug fit.....

although im not 100% sure how a crank bearing failure would cause a neutral issue....but it was a 'good' find to catch that in time....

·
Oregon Coast Powersports
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its an 04-05.

the difficult neutral and crank bearing aren't related. while i had the cases apart i popped out the crank so i could clean everything and check it out.

it had some press to it. i installed my flywheel puller jobbie on the end of the crank and had to tap it out. no excessive force was required.

i like to use a shop light on the cases and throw the bearings in the freezer for installation.

i am glad that i found this issue. it looks to have just started.

now im looking for a crank. may as well replace the whole assembly.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Watch the left bearing.........if its not a tight fit the crank will drift and cause other problems.
I typically heat the case in an oven, 200 degrees 1 hr, and freeze the bearing. Maybe it will drop in.
Sometimes I still have to press it in, or you can pull it in with the Honda crank tool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts