Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I have read through the whole crank bearing thread (now at 9 pages long) and was wondering if there is a preventative? I just bought an 04 a couple of weeks ago. I just changed the oil and did not notice any shavings on the filter (although I did not know I was to look for them.) I have no clue what is done to the motor (maybe it already had a failure and has been replace? I don't know)

All in all, is there a way to "fix" this before it becomes a problem?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
The best thing you can do is to make sure you're using a good oil and change it often. Check the filter every time for shavings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The best thing you can do is to make sure you're using a good oil and change it often. Check the filter every time for shavings.[/b]
I guess, how do I make sure not to get any. If I detect some, then what do I do?

·
Oregon Coast Powersports
4,057 Posts
like bueller said, change the oil often with good oil.

if you find shavings its time to replace the crank/ rod assembly. you can also have the stocker rebuilt but its not worth it in my opinion.

a new hot rod rod is like $125 plus labor to install. ive been told its about $60 for the labor which i think is pretty cheap.

you can pick up an oem crank for $210ish or a hot rod crank for $225ish.

if you are really worried about it just pop off the oil filter cover before each ride and inspect the filter.

you dont have to change the oil everytime obviously. i typically change the oil after every 2 rides which can range from 12-20 hours.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys! I'll keep an eye out..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts