Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've had problems with crank bearing failure or something similar in the past, please let us know the following:

* Year of quad
* Estimated hours on motor at the time of failure
* Mods done to the quad at the time of failure
* Where and how you ride mostly (i.e. mx, xc, dunes, drag, etc.)
* Brand of oil used at the time
* Any other info that could pertain to this failure

Please don't post in to reply to someone else's comments, if you do, it will be deleted. Only post if you've had personal experience with this bearing failure or crank issues. If you have these issues, feel free to post the info above along with some comments if necessary. Maybe with an organized thread, we can learn a little more about this. If you feel you'd like to make comments outside of personal experience or to comment about facts in this thread, feel free to start a new thread for discussion.

According to PITTMANSPOWERSPORTS, Honda now makes a crank kit for the 04-05 450r motors; part number 13090-hp1-315, the kit includes the crank, bearings, a new collar, and a larger seal to accomadate this new collar. You can also just order the seal and collar seperately if you want to avoid this happening to you with part numbers 91202-hp1-672, and 91202-hp1-671.

Thanks,
Scott

EDIT:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Motorcycle Division
P.O. Box 2200
Torrance, CA 90509-2200
Mail stop: 100-4C-7B
Telephone: (866) 784-1870

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Well Sredish has invited me to share here, and ill start by stating i did not have a crank failure, however i have a crank counterbalance failure.

My mods at the time were

HCS2
Stock Piston
Stock Head
500-800 Hours, Highway,Backroads Dunes, Trails, Ice, Snow, Fields, Wheelies You name it I Probly Ride it,

I estimated theses hours by adding up work, wich i took the quad to, and the ex's place, and i came up alone with 400 hours there, being an hour trip there and back to the ex;s and about 45 mins for work round trip, then my normal riding and Etc, i think 500 hours would be bare min, 1000 max.

I mainly used honda gn4, but ran synthetic oil, oil is not critical in my failure on what i ran on the engine side however, the tranny side is what failed, this said, i run the honda tranny oil for Cr wet clutches, i believe its called, the failure that happened is the crack counterbalance bearing on the tranny side shattered in half and cracked the right center case, i have hear this happening on high hour machines, and altho it isnt a crank problem, if you have acces to the bearing, dont be shy and change it out. to be safe, it cause shavings all over in the tranny, cracked case, damged water pump, damaged counterbalance assemby and much more, total of 630$ from service honda to be exact.

Theres my experience, hope this helps.

Ry

D

·
0 Posts
*100 hours maybe
*N/A
*Desert, sand, woods, trails, black top
*Honda red cap GN4 10w40 full sightglass

Happenings - Pushing the quad out of my yard with it idling and when i got on it and was about to put it in gear she clunked slightly then turned off. Not a problem it was a little cool out so i tried to start it, pushed down the kicker and nothing. Tried again and she was locked up solid. YOu could stand on the kicker and she wouldnt go down. So we pulled it down the black top with a truck up to 15mph and put it into gear and it would just slide, and slide, and slide. We took it up to the stealership figured the crank had went or it was seized, etc. Called them two days later figuring to get the warrenty run around and the two month wait sheet but instead they said that they broke the back wheels lose. They were pushing it around in front and it came loose. WTF WE WERE USING A GOD DAM TRUCK :confused: :confused: :crazy: :dunno: .

I still think they must have done swapped motors :D lol.

Well she still runs on the same motor that had that problem so i dunno honestly. Who knows what happened.

Eric.

·
Registered
123 Posts
* Year of quad-2005
* Estimated hours on motor at the time of failure-around 5 at the most
* Mods done to the quad at the time of failure-0, it was stock
* Where and how you ride mostly (i.e. mx, xc, dunes, drag, etc.)-it was around 5 dig f @ the time and on snow
* Oil used at the time-what ever the dealer put in...h4 i think
* Any other info that could pertain to this failure-the dealer said that there was some old 04-new 05s that were given bad berings...something about whoever makes there berings gave them a bad mixtere of mettles...dealer replaced the engin for free.

·
Registered
659 Posts
-Probably 200-300 hours
-HRC kit, Sparks 12:1 piston and Ported and polished
-Dunes, Drag, MX, trails
-I was using Amsoil

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
mabey 75 after last rebuild
ams oil 0-40
i have a hot cams stg 2 cam, uni airfilter, athena 480 kit,

thats all my info...

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
2004 trx 450R
30-50 hours
HRC cam
JE 13:1 96mm piston
K&N Filter
Ported Head
Honda GN4 oil
Dunes Desert
kicker locked up trying to start it to warm oil before trip.
Disassembled kicker assm. then tore head off, finally split case.
Once I cracked the center case bolts it freed up.
Turns out that parts of the crank were flaking off from the lightening holes in the crank itself. One of these flakes had wedged itself in betweenthe crank side and the case.
Honda gave me all new parts and was willing to do the work, I did it my self.
No problems since.

·
Registered
122 Posts
2005 Trx450R
500 hours
exhaust, airfilter, removed lid, jetting
ride mx, lots of road riding, trail riding, sand riding, pretty much everything, i do alot of high reving for long periods of time, hitting rev limit on and off for 5 mins long.
10w40 catrol synthetic
Bad balance of bearings.

I just started my quad up, i let it idle for 5 mins, i heard a noise shut it off and the kick start was frozen, never started again. took appart the engine, completely stripped, the only problem was the rod bearing, everything else was good. im confused.

·
Registered
212 Posts
2005 trx 450R
40-50 hours
HRC cam
JE 13.8:1 piston STOCK BORE
K&N Filter
Honda GN4 oil
Bike was running great, pulled over to take a break and talk (about 20 min. or so) then tryed to start it, nothing real hard to kick
I pulled the topend off and took a hold of crank the right side bearing was gone, talked to local dealer he said the had never heard of the trx having any problems, but when I went to have them order the new crank a different parts guy said they were on back order (why would they be on back order if no one was having any problems :box:

om

·
Registered
120 Posts
when my crank bearings went out on my 05 450r I had about 40 hrs on the engine and the motor was completely stock.The bike had only been ridden on open desert terain and probably had less than 1500 miles on it.The engine was ridden at 7000+ rpm most of the time and that could have had something to do with it.I was useing honda oils in it at the time the bearings went

·
Registered
306 Posts
* N/A
* Dr.D slip-on, Full HRC kit, K&N filter with the pro design oversize adapter
* Mostly open high speed trails, streets, and alot of wheelies
* Texaco 10W40 (that's what i find down here
* The bike was running fine until it was oil change time and i found ALOT of aluminum shavings, so i was able to catch it before it did any other damage. since the change, put in a 11.5 wiseco piston and it's been running smoothly.

hope this helps

·
Registered
914 Posts

250 appx. hrs

stock bottom end, 97mm 14-1 HH piston, lectron 44mm, ported, dyna, clutch mod, hrc cam, 13 42 gearing.

full synthetic oil

It was ripping then just died. I got it started- bad mistake, then died for good. Kickstarter wouldnt push. Took off the top end and looked down in the case to see bearings in between the crank housing scattared.

·
Registered
782 Posts
here's kilabanshee's crank bearing issue pictured. Fortunately, Kilabanshee caught the catastrophic failure before it occured when he noticed the metal fillings in the engine oil on change...

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
90 hrs
480,14-1 HH,Falicon SS crank,HRC cam,Porting.
Dunes
Honda Oil

I found that there was a casting/machining problem with the left case.
Bearing cavity problem.
The crank would drift to the right and the crank would hit the right case.
Also after purchasing another used bottom end, low hour, it turns out this bottom end also had a problem with the crank drifting over.The crank shows signs of wear on the right side and the right case has markings consistant with the crank rubbing on the case!

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
from squash5-2:

...................................................................................................................
13.5:1 je piston (stock bore)
port and polish
hrc cam
esr "no box" air filter
pulse charger exhaust
torco synthetic
dunes only

was riding gingerly in 3rd and 4th hitting some jumps and it sputtered and quit. started back up for a second then quit again. after that the kick starter wouldn't move. i figured i only seized the piston unfortunately that wasn't the case. still waiting to hear from honda about the warranty situation.

...................................................................................................................

Also, thanks for putting your info up guys, I appreciate it. We're starting to get some quantity in here. Little by little, we'll get some more info and see who all has been hit. I haven't yet and damn sure don't want to. So far so good, but from the sound of it, it can hit anyone at anytime, regardless.

·
Registered
399 Posts
05'
14:1 480 HH, hc2, open filter, ported, pc
i was running mobil 1 5-30 full syn.
lots of everything riding
probably 200+ hours
wasnt the main bearing though. it was the rod bearing.

2nd 05' crank
13.75:1 stock bore HH, hc2, open filter, ported, dyna, pc, nitrous 15 shot
rotella T 5-40 i think...
probably 30 hours on crank
wasnt main bearing though. my rod snapped in 3 pieces.

3rd 04' crank
same as above
same oil
same time
nothing ...yet....knocking on every piece of wood i can find.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
13:1 JE, port and polish w/ oversize ex valves
150 hrs. ride time using Honda oil
We were riding a MX track, nothing hard, killed it to rest and when I went to start it it was locked up.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
less than 100hrs
13:1 JE
Stock crank and head
Deloo 400 oil
Piston let go around the wrist pin went into the crank and crushed the side of the stock cyliner. Anti freeze entered the inside of cylinder, piston gone, cylinder gone, crank gone, head OK.

Bulldog

·
Registered
532 Posts
Originally posted by DRG@Aug 10 2006, 07:54 PM
here's kilabanshee's crank bearing issue pictured.  Fortunately, Kilabanshee caught the catastrophic failure before it occured when he noticed the metal fillings in the engine oil on change...
[snapback]269360[/snapback]​
I just took apart 2 450r's that hadnt had any problems as of yet. but both had the same type of markings as your first pic chad. One was pretty mild like the pic posted. the other had wore so far that it actually had a 1/8" lip where it wore into the case. also both had the rubbing marks on both cases. but the right side case looked the worst.

mike

·
Registered
110 Posts
Year of quad
'04

* Estimated hours on motor at the time of failure
Cant remember maybe 200

* Mods done to the quad at the time of failure
FST big bore

* Where and how you ride mostly (i.e. mx, xc, dunes, drag, etc.)
Sand dunes
* Brand of oil used at the time
Rotella

* Any other info that could pertain to this failure

Its been a while since the failure. So its a little foggy but I've since traded her off and got the new suk LT-450

1 - 20 of 255 Posts