Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I lost another crank and plan on having this one balanced.

I talked with Crankworks and they can do it but would like to get another quote. Crankworks wants $200 to do the work. That seemed a little high but then again what has all these failures cost me.

Who is doing your crank balancing?

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Crankworks did mine. It's worth the $200 and they're probably one of the most reputable shops to do something of that sort.

I totally understand you wanting to save money but just think for a second. On one hand, you want quality so you'll quit breaking stuff, then on the other hand, you're wanting to save a buck and find a cheaper place to do it, when the difference, if you can even find it, may be 40 or 50 bones... not worth it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
FYI:
a quote from a 'crank service shop' regarding Hot Rod Cranks:

When the rod pin is moved farther away from the center line of the crank it upsets the balance factor. We have found that the Hot Rods 3mm stroker cranks for this application are pretty much just a copy of the OEM crank with a different stroke, so usually the balance is way off right out of the box. In some cases we actually have to add weight to get it to balance.[/b]

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
scott did your need any heavy metal?[/b]
a little bit, nothing too crazy, but it was off some. i can't remember the actual weight off hand, should have it written down somewhere. i'll look.

and just fyi for some reading this, this was with the Venom 97mm 14:1 piston, which the crank should be balanced at the factory using the oem piston not this one, so I can't say if it would've been balanced with the oem one or not.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4bidden I sent you a pm.

I just got my HD HR crank back from crank works. I had it balanced with a venom 14:25 piston. They added a few grams of heavy metal and welded the pin. I plan on putting it in tonight and getting this over to the dyno next week to make sure the jetting and everything is still good. It will be interesting to see the differnce from my +3 dyno runs versus the 97mm runs. I will have them over lay the runs so I can post that up. All of my dyno runs have been on the same dyno but have been differnt times of year so the ambient temp will have an effect i guess.

·
450R Rider
1,148 Posts
Instead of starting my own topic I will keep this one alive.

If you guys had a choice of the 2 cranks OEM or the HD which would you use.

Are crankworks and Falicon the only credible places balancing these?

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
im going to put a new crank in my 04 450R sometime maybe this winter. what is the best crank to get? i was thinking the wiseco hot rods? arent the falicon cranks really expensive? i think the hot rods crank assembly cost around $300

·
Grandaddy
1,156 Posts
Instead of starting my own topic I will keep this one alive.

If you guys had a choice of the 2 cranks OEM or the HD which would you use.

Are crankworks and Falicon the only credible places balancing these?[/b]

louie swan @ twister is one of the best

1 - 15 of 15 Posts