Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this carb work on our 450r. The YFZ carb says CR on the top of it. Is that the same as the FCR carb, cause I thought thats what the YFZ came with......Does it have a TPS?......what size is the YFZ carb? .....any info will be helpful...thanks.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics of a carb that is supposed to be off of a brand new YFZ....does this look right....Also why is there 2 knobs to pull on...The black one is choke, what the heck is the red one....thanks...

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Red one is hot start. I assume it would work, you woudl want to figure out teh TPS,and make sure it fits manifold and boot.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
The yfz carb is a 39mm. I'm not really sure how the wiring would go since its off a yammi but if you use a 400ex intake and airbox it should drop right in.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can get it pretty cheap, I can fiqure the wiring out...that is not a problem...as long as the red lever is hot start....I wasnt even sure if the YFZ had hot start...

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I think the YFZ spec's are different than the TRX. So it my have to be rewired. Also, if you don't want to change your air box. You can get a billet piece from sudco that will screw on the back of that carb made for your stock air box! $70 B)

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Hey I don't know who is trying to sell that carb to you but it isn't off a yfz. I just reread this thread and realized that you were under the impression that it was. On the yzf carb it says FLAT above the CR and it does NOT have hot start. I just wanted you to know this before you go out and get ripped off. hope this helps Lude! B)

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by lukester720@Jun 23 2004, 09:12 PM
Hey I don't know who is trying to sell that carb to you but it isn't off a yfz. I just reread this thread and realized that you were under the impression that it was. On the yzf carb it says FLAT above the CR and it does NOT have hot start. I just wanted you to know this before you go out and get ripped off. hope this helps Lude! B)
thanks, thats the info I was looking for :D

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright, I think I fiqured this out...its a new carb off of a YZF450 dirtbike...but the guy called it a YFZ instead of a YZF.....here is a pic of the one off the dirbike...the only problem is the one on the dirtbike is a 41mm...I dont think i want one that big.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the picture above is actually a KTM...witch has the 41mm FCR. The one the guy has for sale is a 39mm FCR carb from a YZ450F dirtbike. Because these carbs are all made by Keihin, it really does not matter what they are on....they are all made by the same company so they should all be the same....I looked on the Keihin web site and they do show a CR carb, but it looks nothing like this one....Then I looked at the FCR carbs and that is indeed what this is. It looks identical to the FCR carbs they show on the Keihin website.....the guy selling it simply did not know how to lable it, or dont know what he has.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Lude, if its a 41mm that's good too, that's what size carbs Sparks is selling for their fcr kits.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by lukester720@Jun 24 2004, 09:16 AM
Lude, if its a 41mm that's good too, that's what size carbs Sparks is selling for their fcr kits.
the one in the pic on the bike is a 41mm...only because that is what comes on the KTM....the one I might buy is off a YZ450F. and it is a 39mm FCR....I would rather run the 39mm..I want acceleration, not top end....

Luke do you know, this carb has the red knob on it for the hot start. can that be taken off and converted to our hotstart button. so we can have the hot start on the handle bars...Ive never looked at the way its set up on the carb so I dont know...

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
I originally thought you saif YZF, I knew it waws not a YFZ carb, with hot start. A Keihin FCR has the same workings (jets, slide, needles, parts), if its from a GSXR750 rack of 4 or a YFZ450, its inner workings are very similar. TPS, hot start, or chokes might be present, might not, or might be wired differernt (TPS). I know a guy who is running a FCR from a GSXR on his 400ex. That carb is very common on sport bikes and 4 stroke MX bikes, the DRZ has it, the YZF, CRF, KTM's, ect.
You can get it to work jsut fine, however it might take some wiring and plumbing to get her working properly. The FCR MX carbs have a few features fro off raod use, enclosed throttle cable housing, higher capacity float level, ect. Which woudl be a plus over a street bike version, but you could still make it rip.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I'm sorry , but I seeing way to much YFZ in here. Yamahopper go away and come back no other day. :lol:

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Originally posted by TRX450rlude@Jun 24 2004, 10:20 AM
Luke do you know, this carb has the red knob on it for the hot start. can that be taken off and converted to our hotstart button. so we can have the hot start on the handle bars...Ive never looked at the way its set up on the carb so I dont know...
I haven't had alot of experence with it either, I would think that a guy would have to physically look at it to make that determination.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by lukester720+Jun 24 2004, 10:19 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-TRX450rlude
@Jun 24 2004, 10:20 AM

I haven't had alot of experence with it either, I would think that a guy would have to physically look at it to make that determination. [/b]
OK, I assumed you looked at yours, becasue you have a FCR dont you?...thats cool though..I will look at it myself......

This carb is the MX version...its off of a 2004 YZ450F....its not off a street bike...I think I will buy this and give it a try....I can pick it up for about $100.00....the guy says its only had about 1 hr of use....I have asked him why he took it off, but I have not got a answer yet.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Geez Lude you sure are working me hard today :lol: , here are some pics.
It looks like it could be made to work fairly easily but you won't know unless you try.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah luke, I know for a fact I can make it work, after all the investigating I did on it.

Where is the hot start located on the one you showed me?...Does it even have a hot start?......what is it off of?...thanks.

Is that Billit Aluminum thing on the carb the piece you bought for 70 dollars to make it work on the trx?...thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
This is off the CRF dirtbike, its a 40mm. You can see the hotstart cable coming out next to where the choke is, this is the carb that is currently on my 450r.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts