Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He guys I am new to the 450r scene, but I love my machine so far! I have a few questions and I'm sure i'll have more time come in the time to come...

1) Taking the silencer out, do I need to re-jet now or if I plan on getting a K&N air filter later on, is that when I would re-jet? (meaning is it okay to take the spark arrestor now without a re-jet before I put in a K&N?)

2) Oil filters from Honda ar like $11.97. My buddy got a k&N oil filter, is that alright to use?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've roamed around the site and have found a few "how-to" threads, but would love any advice thrown my way..

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
you shouldnt have to rejet if you just take the spark arrestor out...... its when you ad the air filter (i believe that is that way it works right guys)

as for the oil filter yeah there expensive, i just ordered a reusable on for like 50 dollars basically it should pay for itself in 5 oil changes..... should be worth the money lol

also welcome to the forum !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you shouldnt have to rejet if you just take the spark arrestor out...... its when you ad the air filter (i believe that is that way it works right guys)

as for the oil filter yeah there expensive, i just ordered a reusable on for like 50 dollars basically it should pay for itself in 5 oil changes..... should be worth the money lol

also welcome to the forum ![/b]

Thanks... anyone else?

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts

also welcome to the forum ![/b]

Thanks... anyone else?
[/b]
I've run the "hiflo-filtro" oil filters for 2 years now with no problems. About $3 apiece.

Personally I don't like the reusable filters, mainly because they are made of metal mesh, which can make it more difficult to spot
metal shavings from the engine that can be stuck to the filter. But if you're careful and take your time inspecting the re-usables, they
will be fine.

As far as rejetting, these 450r's come really lean from the factory anyways to pass emissions. If you take the stock spark arrestor out,
I would suggest going up 2-3 jet sizes anyways to compensate for both the initial lean condition plus the slight change in jetting for
opening up the stock exhaust.

And yes, you will then need to rejet accordingly after installing the k&n also. That jetting change will be considerably different depending
on whether or not you leave the stock airbox cover on or off.

Hope that helps- Kris

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
what ^ Kris ^ said....

although I dont know what year machine you have, in all likelihood, when you remove the backpressure from the muffler, you take a chance of creating a lean condition, even more so than the factory... with that being said go up a few sizes in the main at least....

the K&N filter will usually not interfere with jetting, especially if you plan on leaving your lid on....the key factor is whether or not you remove/modify the air box lid or not... if you plan on removing the lid, start out close to HRC jetting specs... 180-185ish for 04/05... 160-165ish for 06/newer machines..... plus some other minor changes in the carb as well.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what I am gathering is that no matter what, I need to re-jet. I am new to this whole scene... what kind of jetting do I need to do to get this running the way I need it to so I'm not too lean. What would be a decent/cheap brand to roll with? (planning on doing a K&N and maybe leaving the lid off at times)

Thanks for all of your help! it's an 04 machine..

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
So what I am gathering is that no matter what, I need to re-jet. I am new to this whole scene... what kind of jetting do I need to do to get this running the way I need it to so I'm not too lean. What would be a decent/cheap brand to roll with? (planning on doing a K&N and maybe leaving the lid off at times)

Thanks for all of your help! it's an 04 machine..[/b]
Yep, no matter what, you "should" rejet.

As far as a brand, I'm assuming you're talking about the jets. With the changes you are making, I wouldn't invest in a jet "kit", I would just go to your dealer
or one of the site sponsors and purchase individual factory keihin main jets.

The stock main jet on the '04 450r's is a #118. So, when you take out the baffle, I'd go up to roughly a 122-125 main jet. (The jets are numbered kinda funky in that range. I think they go 118, 120, 122, 125, 128, etc. So putting in a 125 main would be going up 3 sizes.

Now, when you put the k&n filter on AND have the airbox cover off, like Greg said you'll probably be in the 180-185 range on the main jet. But the catch is that if you want to ride somewhere with the lid on, you'll then be waayyy rich on the jetting again, and would have to rejet AGAIN when you decide to put the lid back on.

My suggestion would be to either run without the lid all the time and get an outerwears cover for the k&n filter, or find a modified cover like what comes in the HRC power up kit which still protects the filter some, but also has the top of the airbox open.

Later- Kris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kris- Thanks for the response.. I sent you a PM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts