Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
yes, as long as you know when you can and cant.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
like jumbo said dont down shift when on the throttle, and use the clutch when down shifting.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I will sometimes upshift without the clutch. I let of the gas momentarily and and make the shift. It most always goes without a hitch. Iused to race cars and we would downshift without the clutch in the cars. Once the revs dropped to match the lower gear, you gently make the downshift. Never tried it on my quad though...

·
Registered
328 Posts
There is no great theory or mystery behind shifting. When Applying a force to the lever you are engaging a mechanical system, your force will be transfered the point of least resistance usually moving the Drum transferring to the next gear, but If for some reason it wont shift, that energy has to go somewhere usually a bent or broken shift fork. So basically on the gas, off the gas, clutch, or no clutch. If you have to push down or up with more than moderate force damage may occur. Thats about the size of it. Micro sprint racers weld their clutches solid and shift many many times with the clutch being totally non-existent and they dont experience any more transmisson damage than we clutch type have due to shifting. Now they have been known to destroy gears! but they are pushing crazy horsepower numbers at 10,000 + RPM the whole race. Thats another story!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I upshift, and downshift without the clutch. Sometimes I use it when Im not trying to go fast. But if im all out haulin a&& then I generlly never use it. ....you just have to blip the throttle a little to let the pressure off the tranny gears and it goes right in nice and easy....

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I always always use the clutch...I dont even think about it anymore.. With the clutch you can shift alot faster and use the extra rpm to pull when u let out the clutch.. Downshifting i slowly let out the clutch and let the engine slowly rev up. I couldnt imagine not using the clutch. I have done it a few times and its not nearly as smooth or sound as the clutch. Its on there to use.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I never use the clutch when I up or down shift, only when I lock up the rear wheels or in tight spots in the woods. You just can't be on the gas when you shift up or down.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer@Jul 13 2004, 07:43 PM
I never use the clutch when I up or down shift, only when I lock up the rear wheels or in tight spots in the woods. You just can't be on the gas when you shift up or down.
I agree 100%....thats exactly how I ride.

Mitco39, sorry but you are wrong about it not being as smooth, its alot smoother. You can shift waaaay faster without using the clutch. You just have to know how to do it. You are right about using the clutch for that extra. In some cases you can use the clutch to pull up the RPM's to get that extra kick. I do use the clutch for that purpose. But most of the time I dont even need to do that becasue this bike puts out enough power to already have the xtra kick on reserve....I do use the clutch when hill climbing....have to keep from flipping over..you know...

But if you are on a straight away, or in a drag, you can shift way faster and smoother without the clutch....trust me...If you take the time to learn the art you will discover what Im talking about.... B)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts