Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was trail riding today, I tried to cross a small trench, about 2 feet wide by 1 foot deep. The other side, right along the edge, was pretty dense shrubage. I thought the bike would just push over the growth, but It stopped my bike. The front wheels were in the shrubs and the back wheels were in the trench against the facing edge digging in. I put my weight to the back and rode the clutch pretty hard trying to get it to bite. I eventually had to push it out. When I got back on to ride off, the clutch was slipping badly. I shut it down to let it cool alittle and then started back to camp. I made it over a couple small hills and then on one hill it just quit hooking up. Unfortunatly, Honda didnt put an open end wrench in the tool kit to adjust the clutch so I had to use my buddies Predator tool kit. I turned out the clutch cable at the case and it got me back to the truck. Now, did I damage the clutch, or did I just get it real friggin hot? I havn't messed with it since i got home about 6 hrs. ago. Should I readjust the clutch back to it's original location, or did I just cut it's life in half?.......oh, and by the way, my fan works.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i don't know enough about clutches to answer your question, but the first thing i would do is empty your trans oil and check it out with a sifter or something. just look at the color. shine a light on it to check for metalic color or flakes. you can tell a lot by looking at oil. after draining the oil, maybe describe it to us. i'm sure someone here can help. make sure you follow the manual when draining to get it ALL out(warm it up, etc.). that should be a good first step. then, who knows... see if the dealer will look at it under warranty or crack it open yourself. just putting in fresh oil may be enough!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dogg, Desert, thats what I'll do. I'll change out the fluids and post my findings. Appreciate your input....

·
Registered
497 Posts
While I was trail riding today, I tried to cross a small trench, about 2 feet wide by 1 foot deep. The other side, right along the edge, was pretty dense shrubage. I thought the bike would just push over the growth, but It stopped my bike. The front wheels were in the shrubs and the back wheels were in the trench against the facing edge digging in. I put my weight to the back and rode the clutch pretty hard trying to get it to bite. I eventually had to push it out. When I got back on to ride off, the clutch was slipping badly. I shut it down to let it cool alittle and then started back to camp. I made it over a couple small hills and then on one hill it just quit hooking up. Unfortunatly, Honda didnt put an open end wrench in the tool kit to adjust the clutch so I had to use my buddies Predator tool kit. I turned out the clutch cable at the case and it got me back to the truck. Now, did I damage the clutch, or did I just get it real friggin hot? I havn't messed with it since i got home about 6 hrs. ago. Should I readjust the clutch back to it's original location, or did I just cut it's life in half?.......oh, and by the way, my fan works.[/b]
What kind of oil do you use in your tranny? I know some people run 10w/40 in their tranny which has caused my clutch to slip before in the past. Also how often do you change your tranny oil, and how many hours did you have since your last oil change?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I really cant see how that would damage your clutch at all. These clutches are tougher then that...I agree with desert 450r...the clutch was never adjusted right to begin with....I cant think of one thing I could do that could abuse my clutch to that degree....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed my trans oil. it had an aweful burnt smell, was really dark and it it had a pearl effect. I put the honda hp 80/85 trans oil back in. I took it out today and it hooked up really well. my actions were very disrespectful to my bike and i carry a heavy heart because of it. i love my bike and it loves me. -_- . I believe that i am forgiven and i will be nicer from here on..............

·
Registered
733 Posts
the quad gods have been good to you. glad to see your only expense was a quart of oil.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Glad to hear she's feeling better!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts