Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get it?? I hadn't really look at it closely until I got my R last weekend, but I had thought the hot start level must be part of the stock clutch lever assembly because I hear everyone talking about aftermarket lever\perch setups with integrated hot start lever. The thing is, the hot start is part of the run\headlight switch piece, not the clutch lever assembly, so why not just run a regular aftermarket lever and leave the hot start where it is? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by remlapr@Sep 18 2004, 05:07 PM
I don't get it?? I hadn't really look at it closely until I got my R last weekend, but I had thought the hot start level must be part of the stock clutch lever assembly because I hear everyone talking about aftermarket lever\perch setups with integrated hot start lever. The thing is, the hot start is part of the run\headlight switch piece, not the clutch lever assembly, so why not just run a regular aftermarket lever and leave the hot start where it is? Am I missing something?
yes, you are. :D most of the people purchasing the clutch w/hotstart lever, including me, are removing their lights and getting an aftermarket hood. when i remove the lights and light switches, i will need a perch w/hotstart. otherwise, i would stay with my stock perch. and... i know you don't have to remove the switches with the lights, but i am a perfectionist (aka anal retentive) and don't want extra things bolted to my bike that have no purpose. that's it.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Well having the hot start right on the perch seems to me, would be better cuz if your racing it and stall it, your pullin in the clutch and then can easily point your index on to the hot start, and keep a good grip on the bars, with the hot start being on the light switch mount, you gotta send your thumb and search for it, and its at a less convenient location. A second reason would be that for those who remove there headlights, no longer need the mount, so why keep it just for the hot start, when u can just have the clutch perch with the hot start and clear the mount right off. These are just my opinons btw.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh - makes sense. I like to night ride on occasion so my lights aren't going anywhere so not an issue for me. However, I'm putting in a a rekluse so I do have an issue with needing to keep that stupid parking brake - not sure what I can do about that, anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
i forgot who had mentioned this, but if u wanna get rid of the park brake, keep a velcro strap and when u park fasten your front brake to the bar, prob solved.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Another reason is for people like myself that have the fcr carb, the hot start cable that came with my carb setup will not fit in the stock hotstart setup without modification, but it does fit with the works connection dirtbike lever w/hotstart.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Originally posted by kazpr@Sep 19 2004, 07:55 AM
So what clutch lever is everyone running w/stock carb??
Probably AVS or Moose.

·
Registered
733 Posts
racer, did your new perch come with a hotstart cable mod? i just ordered the works connection clutch lever w/thumb hotstart. i heard that a spacer is needed for the cable. did you replace your cable?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer@Sep 20 2004, 07:35 PM
I bought a Baldwin Motorsports cable.
where from and how much, if you don't mind me asking? is it made specifically for this mod or is it something that you had to figure out? guess i will need one too. thanks B)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Originally posted by RedDogg+Sep 20 2004, 08:39 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-TRX450R_Racer
@Sep 20 2004, 07:35 PM
I bought a Baldwin Motorsports cable.
where from and how much, if you don't mind me asking? is it made specifically for this mod or is it something that you had to figure out? guess i will need one too. thanks B) [/b]
I got it right from Baldwin Motorsports. It was $28.95 plus shipping. He wasn't sure if it would work with the ASV but it did. When I ordered it they had only tried it with the Works Connection lever. The reason you need it is the stock cable has too much play in it when attached to an aftermarket hot start lever, so it won't pull the plunger out to let air in. The Baldwin cable fixes that problem.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer@Sep 20 2004, 07:59 PM
I got it right from Baldwin Motorsports. It was $28.95 plus shipping. He wasn't sure if it would work with the ASV but it did. When I ordered it they had only tried it with the Works Connection lever. The reason you need it is the stock cable has too much play in it when attached to an aftermarket hot start lever, so it won't pull the plunger out to let air in. The Baldwin cable fixes that problem.
thanks... better order now.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
thats something i did not no, ive been looking at the wc clutch w/hot start lever. so i need to get a new cable was there a part # on the cable or what should i ask for? :mellow:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts