Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this and a heavier flywheel would definatly make my R alot more fun in the tight woods. i think i'm going to have to order one
i wonder if this is the same one FST is using in some of their GNCC bikes.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Dont want one....and I want a lighter flywheel, like the one in the CRF....

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I've had a Rekluse clutch in my R since February - it's a VERY cool unit.

I've ridden manual clutch bikes for almost 25 years & love them - don't equate this unit to a typical utility style automatic clutch. This setup is like taking the manual clutch 1 step further. You still have manual use, but you also have automatic. The stall speed and engagement rate is also adjustable.

Anyhow - if you go with one of these clutches, don't bother with the flywheel weight.... If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you had any problems, was it hard to set up, what type od riding situations has it it halped the most in? well i gues i'm just looking for a good over veiw on the product. the webside list advantages from a selling point of veiw. they also didn't really explain using it with manual clutch. when do you go auto and when do you pull the lever? sorry don't want to bug you but the rekluse intigued me due to my kind of riding. thanks for any info you can give

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
For woods riding, the more technical & slick the more it helps. It helps you keep traction on technical climbs because the clutch is being feathered consistantly. It also helps a bunch on log hops and other places where it's easy to stall or apply the wrong amount of clutch and/or throttle.

It helps when coming into a corner because you can brake slide without worrying about clutch application or killing the engine.

Manual --- still works as it normally does - you can hold it in and rev for a launch, or pull it to spool the engine up a little if you like. The auto clutch always disengages as the engine drops below the stall speed - the manual setup just manually disengages the clutch anytime it would be active (if that makes sense).

You can start the quad in gear - after starting, you just give it gas & it goes...

The manual clutch setup was a requirment of mine - I did not want a setup that completely deleted it because I felt I would still use it a lot. I've since found that I almost never use it unless I'm doing a hard launch (even then I'm not sure if it helps or hurts).

Problems -- It has been 100% reliable for me so far, not a single problem.. I know a couple people that have had a few problems, but all were traced back to their installation. Rekluse's customer service is very good & they helped those guys out even though the problems were related to the clutch's installation.

Installation is not hard, but you really need to pay very close attention to the instructions & not take any shortcuts. If you follow the installation directions well and also follow initial adjustment procedure - you're good.

Also - this is one of the very few aftermarket parts I've bought that fits correctly, has very good & detailed instructions, and has plenty of spare parts to cover any issues that might arise during installation. I was very impressed the whole time I was installing it at their attention to detail. They are quality people in my opinion....

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
86atc 250r. Do you have this on your 3 wheeler or something else.

If anyone has ever played the ATV quad racing game on PS2. Its just like choosing the semi-auto transmission....that just means you can shift manually. or you can let it shift its self. only you still have to change the gear with your foot.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so for going from gear to gear do find yourself using the clutch or just snick up/down. i guess its going to be hard for to completly understand without riding one but just trying to get a good feel for how it is used

·
Registered
263 Posts
basically is it just like say a 250ex or a polaris? i cant grasp the concept either :wacko:

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Lude - I have the autoclutch on my 450R.

DN1911 - I shift gears as I always have. A large percentage of the time (with and autoclutch or a normal clutch) I shift by releasing the throttle a little to unload the transmission and give it a click. Other times I'll grab a little clutch and shift.

Usually the only time I clutch when I shift is during the bottom couple gears in a drag race, or in a technical situation where gear selection and power application benefit from manually modulating the clutch.

In the latter case, the autoclutch does a lot of that for you - feathering the clutch much more consistantly than you can when bouncing up a rocky hillside, etc.

Blake--

Like a polaris --- not at all.

Like a 250EX? I suppose you could equate it to that -- but a lot more flexible, and performance oriented. The shifter does not have the "long throw" sensation of a typical OEM centrifugal clutch and it does not slip between gears like an OEM autoclutch. You also still have use of your manual clutch if you want to override the engagement to spool the engine up for a take-off or instant power.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i'm gettin the idea now i think i need to just order it but short on funds right now, sucks! but someday or i'll just get impatient and buy now pay later if ya know what i mean
thanks for the insight

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by DN1911@Jun 17 2004, 11:58 PM
check this out. sounds like it could make every kind of riding more enjoyable and fast.
Rekluse clutch
what a can of worms... :wacko:

i can't explain it, but i think i like it. someone buy me one for evaluation and i'll post the results. :D

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I believe that I will own one of these on day, I like it alot.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I get what your saying but I dont understand why you would want one. I hardly every use my clutch now. I do exactly what ATC said...I hesitate on the gas and just click it into gear....the only time I use my clutch is when im dragging it to slow down, or on take offs..., or when Im tring to kick the rear out around corners....I will clutch it to get the extra kick....Are you saying the auto clutch will do that for you?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Yes, you can set it up that way.

The stall speed is adjustable on the handlebars.

For woods, I have the stall set low for contollable power in tight, technical areas.

For MX & ATV rodeo stuff I set the stall speed high so the engine is always close to the power so anytime you hit the throttle it's like you feathered the clutch to be in the power....

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
now that is pretty damn neat....I still dont want one though, I think it will ruin my riding style....or change it for the worse...for me that is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts