Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know stainless doesnt typically rust but whatever...

my headpipe, which i am sure is stainless, has started to get a few spots of rust on it. should i just get after it with a piece of steel wool or try and buff the snot out of it with some stainless polish?

its a natural finish pipe.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
i know stainless doesnt typically rust but whatever...

my headpipe, which i am sure is stainless, has started to get a few spots of rust on it. should i just get after it with a piece of steel wool or try and buff the snot out of it with some stainless polish?

its a natural finish pipe.[/b]
Here's what a polishing wheel and some mothers aluminum polish will do in just a couple minutes. The mid pipe is done but the header hasn't been touched.

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
i used xx fine scotch bright and wd 40 to clean mine quickly. it didnt turn out as well as steves but looked pretty good compaired to what it did look like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good stuff guys...

it was just bugging me...

i would wash my quad and the pipe would look like doodie...

thanks for the ideas

DANG i might have to polish my pipe now...thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Steel wool dipped in mothers polish. Scrub, then wipe off with clean rag. Here is my old HRC header.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
heres what a wheel and alum polish from a auto body shop did for me. its barely turning brown right now. after u polish it once, next time hit it with 2000 grit sand paper and then polish and itll look better.

the green mark on the header stud is form the alum polish i use, most auto body or polish shops have those green bars they melt into a liquid and mix with other chemicals, it works real good with just a rag too.

·
Registered
375 Posts
That works very well! In the past I have bead blasted them to get rid of all the nasties, and then hit them with a buffing wheel, then polish with 1000 grit, on to 1200, 1500, then 2000. End up looking very nice! Remember, the smoother polish you have on your head pipe, the cooler it looks when you run your motor and it changes all the fun colors from the heat....

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
heres what a wheel and alum polish from a auto body shop did for me. its barely turning brown right now. after u polish it once, next time hit it with 2000 grit sand paper and then polish and itll look better.

the green mark on the header stud is form the alum polish i use, most auto body or polish shops have those green bars they melt into a liquid and mix with other chemicals, it works real good with just a rag too.[/b]
Batch, yours didn't change colors right away? When I polished my dasa it looked like yours in the pic but after about five minutes of running, the whole header and mid pipe turned gold. It looked awesome and stayed that way for quite a while. I took a pic of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
i can make my hrc header look chrome? mine is full of rust

1 - 14 of 14 Posts