Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it ok to use gas on them or diesel or what?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Walmart sells a degreaser/cleaner that is purple in color, I think its called purple power. Anyhow, I fill a small bucket, something that is close to the size of the airfilter with that purple stuff mixed with a little water, and I soak the airfilter in it for a few minutes or so. I then take a second bucket filled with clean water and dunk the filter back into the water bucket. It usually takes off 100% of the dirt right there. If not, repeat the process again. Be sure to wash it off with the water real well. This is the way I clean my filters and works real well for me. The purple power stuff is less than $2 for a gallon jug at wallmart, and works real well for many applications.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
NO..dont use gas..it will eat right through your filter & it will be garbage...use foam filter cleaner stuff from your dealer..i use this blue belray stuff that I got from my stealership

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well thanks alot guys
got to go wash it

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
those sound better than the way i was cleaning it but i had a kandn and i dot think they r good for offroad so im goin back to the stocker for now (untill i get my sparks)

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
dawn is actually bad on foam filters...Im not going to explain why because those two people wont believe me anyway....

I use No-Toil....best you can use....cleaner and oil....

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
That's odd, dawn's been working well for me for years... Who told you that, notoil? Seems odd that Dawn would be hard on sponges - which is essentially what a foam filter is.

NoToil is OK, but I prefer an oil with less drainback. Their cleaner is cool though - at least for their oil...

Why do you feel NoToil is the best?

I like the fact that they support local level racing & I think they're a good company - but I've tried several different oils and found a few that have better properties as filter oil so I prefer to use them instead.

I also don't believe their horsepower claims.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by TRX450rlude@Jul 8 2004, 11:56 PM
dawn is actually bad on foam filters...Im not going to explain why because those two people wont believe me anyway....

Hey man, feel free to share! Me and 86atc250r aren't that closed minded as to not take into consideration what you say! Let us know man.... ^_^

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD+Jul 9 2004, 08:58 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-TRX450rlude
@Jul 8 2004, 11:56 PM

Hey man, feel free to share! Me and 86atc250r aren't that closed minded as to not take into consideration what you say! Let us know man.... ^_^ [/b]
yeah... i've been using lemon fresh JOY! my intake never smells foul... but my exhaust.
seriously though, is all dish soap bad?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by Jumbo747@Jul 9 2004, 06:52 PM
i wouldnt use it on anything aftermarket...maybe stock b/c when something happens to it you can just get a aftermarket
is anyone going to explain why?!?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I dont think dawn is bad on the filter. The problem that I have noticed is its very hard to get all the soap out of the filter....Ive had to clean quite a few carbs from having a soapy buildup in the bowl, and even clogged a couple of jets...thats all I meant, I didnt mean to stir up emotions. As long as you get all the soap out there is no problem at all. I used to use dish soap on mine and have just changed my ways becuase of this one reason.

I dont know that notiol is the best. I have used about everthing and thats what I like the most. The sticky oil substance they use is more tacky then any other filter oil i have used, and its not even oil, so its not bad for the enviroment.. Plus the cleaner agent totally disolves all the oil substance that was in the filter, that and all the dirt rinses out with no trouble at all once the oil is disolved....

No-toil is simply the easiest and best performing system I have used, thats why I like it. It has never been so easy to clean my filters. it is kind of expensive though, about 20.00 for the cleaner, oil, and this tube of stuff to put around the lip of the filter to help seal it when you tighten the clamp. (dont know what its called). But I think its well worth it....

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Jul 8 2004, 11:25 PM
That's odd, dawn's been working well for me for years...  Who told you that, notoil?  Seems odd that Dawn would be hard on sponges - which is essentially what a foam filter is.

NoToil is OK, but I prefer an oil with less drainback. Their cleaner is cool though - at least for their oil...

Why do you feel NoToil is the best?

I like the fact that they support local level racing & I think they're a good company - but I've tried several different oils and found a few that have better properties as filter oil so I prefer to use them instead.

I also don't believe their horsepower claims.
what do you mean with less drain back...you may be teaching me some more things here....

You have already taught me alot...just want to know more....thanks. B)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Drainback is how much the oil migrates to the bottom of the filter over time.

Uni Oil, NoToil, and a couple others I've tried have a tendency to collect at the bottom of the filter over time and dry out on top. May not be as big a deal if your ride area and frequency require almost weekly filter maintenance

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Jul 9 2004, 09:22 PM
Drainback is how much the oil migrates to the bottom of the filter over time.

Uni Oil, NoToil, and a couple others I've tried have a tendency to collect at the bottom of the filter over time and dry out on top. May not be as big a deal if your ride area and frequency require almost weekly filter maintenance
I havent noticed that at all. it always stays nice and even to me...but I clean my filter often...its dusty around here.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Well i just cleaned my filter today and i used Mean Green, worked pretty good, got most of the stuff out and rinsed easily, just thot id let u guys no

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I use a 2 gallon plastic bucket from Home Depot. It comes with a lid. Fill it most of the way with mineral spirits. Then just dip it in and out a few times. Then I spray it with brake parts cleaner. Now here is were living in South Florida comes in handy. I just set it in the out side A/C unit, it kicks on for one cycle and it's dry, ready to be oiled.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts