Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats up guys its been a while but now i back, i have a question on my 07 450er stock axle. i have it all taken apart and im taking the axle to chrome tommorow but someone told me the axle cant be chromed completely is this true? the said the rivets would get messed up can someone help me? i thought i could chrome the whole axle and the rivets would still show. need help quick as im taking the axle tommorow morning

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
what rivets? theres nmo rivets on a axle. its a solid piece of metal with the sprocket hub.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what rivets? theres nmo rivets on a axle. its a solid piece of metal with the sprocket hub.[/b]
the little lines towards the middle

G

·
Those are splines and yes the chrome can make that part a little larger in diameter thus having to sand in down on the re-install process or maybe your chrome plater can just chrome what shows and not the carrier anti-fade part of the axle.

·
Registered
974 Posts
What does it cost to get one chromed? Just wondering cause you can get one already chromed starting at around 200$ (G-Force)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does it cost to get one chromed? Just wondering cause you can get one already chromed starting at around 200$ (G-Force)[/b]
Cost me 50$

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

·
Stock 05 450R
1,942 Posts
Yup, what ^^ he ^^ said.

Chrome is not a good choice for axles and bottom a-arms unless you only ride in the sand.

JMO though...

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
QUOTE(jaybird @ Jul 15 2008, 08:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=531214
<div class='quotemain'>What does it cost to get one chromed? Just wondering cause you can get one already chromed starting at around 200$ (G-Force)[/b]
Cost me 50$
[/b]
Not too bad at all.
[/b][/quote]
i don't know about all but the g force my dad put on his craptor ...the finish came off in a matter of months looks like crap now.
[/b][/quote]

the chrome on the gforce is good, but for duning nothing will last long. everytime you turn the front wheels the bottom of the tires just shoot sand and blast the whole axle and axle nut.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Yup, what ^^ he ^^ said.

Chrome is not a good choice for axles and bottom a-arms unless you only ride in the sand.

JMO though...[/b]

chrome axles hold up well for drags, not for duning.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Yup, what ^^ he ^^ said.

JMO though...[/b]

[/b]
that might explain it then all we do it dune....what about powder coat how much more durable is it on an axel.......my wheels when i first got them were extremely glossy black...one trip out to the dune and they turn to a matte black...

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Yup, what ^^ he ^^ said.

JMO though...[/b]

[/b]
that might explain it then all we do it dune....what about powder coat how much more durable is it on an axel.......my wheels when i first got them were extremely glossy black...one trip out to the dune and they turn to a matte black...
[/b]

im not sure how powdercoat will work. ive seen some wrapped in vinyl and looked good.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
QUOTE(Nor*Cal @ Jul 23 2008, 10:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=534789
<div class='quotemain'>Yup, what ^^ he ^^ said.

JMO though...[/b]

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

im not sure how powdercoat will work. ive seen some wrapped in vinyl and looked good.
[/b][/quote]

ya in vinyl tape looks pretty sick my red neck friend got the bright idea to wrap every bit of metal like frame sub frame handle bars nerfs a-arms axel even the swingarm in black electrical tape, to save money......he's also an idiot :slap:

·
Stock 05 450R
1,942 Posts
Well then... sounds like chrome is not even good in the sand.

I actually think that no matter what type of coating you put on an axle will eventually look like crap. Same with coated bumpers and nerfs.

I would buy some thick shrink tubing... slide it on each end... shrink it to size with a heat gun... call it day. :drink:

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Well then... sounds like chrome is not even good in the sand.

I actually think that no matter what type of coating you put on an axle will eventually look like crap. Same with coated bumpers and nerfs.

I would buy some thick shrink tubing... slide it on each end... shrink it to size with a heat gun... call it day. :drink:[/b]

thats what i thought of. shrink tubing. cant find anything that size.

my bumper has actually held up fine in the dunes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts