Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is anyone having any issues with a lack of oil to the wrist pin on the 05?
i tear mine down every winter and it seems that the wrist pin is not getting enough oil.
i tried blowing out the oil jet. i have used the stock wrist pin and a je one.
the wrist pin keeps galling up. with the je 13:8 two ringer it was bad enough to change the crank.
when i put the stock piston back in every thing seems o.k.

any thoughts?

thanks

mike

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
never had as much a problem with it as yourself...... and i dont have an answer. lol what a help i am. lol just some similar experience

i tore down for a piston change after maybe 15 hours. took out stocker and discovered what i thought to be alot of wear in the wrist pin journal. wore through the copper coat in a couple places. nothing major. but i didnt expect that much either.

changed a year later to the big bore and it looked same as before. not any worse. never had a wrist pin issue. just the wear in the journal.
hopefully it gets the stroker before it would be an issue.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never had as much a problem with it as yourself...... and i dont have an answer. lol what a help i am. lol just some similar experience

i tore down for a piston change after maybe 15 hours. took out stocker and discovered what i thought to be alot of wear in the wrist pin journal. wore through the copper coat in a couple places. nothing major. but i didnt expect that much either.

changed a year later to the big bore and it looked same as before. not any worse. never had a wrist pin issue. just the wear in the journal.
hopefully it gets the stroker before it would be an issue.[/b]
ah yes the copper coating seams to be sticking to the pin. whats kind of crazy is that the pin nor the rod shows any discolorization from heat

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
If your talking about where the wrist pin goes through the connecting rod, its because the stock rod has no oiling holes drilled into it. Thats one reason why I liked the Hotrods rod over the stock rod. It has two holes drilled into the small end to help aid in oiling the pin. The Falicon rod also has oiling holes. I think that was a mistake by Honda. How hard could it have been to put them in there at the factory?

The stock rod is also not bushed like an aftermarket rod....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your talking about where the wrist pin goes through the connecting rod, its because the stock rod has no oiling holes drilled into it. Thats one reason why I liked the Hotrods rod over the stock rod. It has two holes drilled into the small end to help aid in oiling the pin. The Falicon rod also has oiling holes. I think that was a mistake by Honda. How hard could it have been to put them in there at the factory?

The stock rod is also not bushed like an aftermarket rod....[/b]

i cant help but to think that i could add a oiling hole to the rod. i am just not sure how strong the rod would be?

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts

The stock rod is also not bushed like an aftermarket rod....[/b]

i cant help but to think that i could add a oiling hole to the rod. i am just not sure how strong the rod would be?
[/b]
It would be strong enough, just make sure you chamfer the hole on the inside part of the small end. Like I said though, the HR's have two holes. If you can get one in your hand, look at what they did and copy it.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Falicon also makes a rod that has an extra oiling hole.
Plus you get a forged/knife edged rod........stronger,lighter so less stress on the wrist pin/crank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
is anyone having any issues with a lack of oil to the wrist pin on the 05?
i tear mine down every winter and it seems that the wrist pin is not getting enough oil.
i tried blowing out the oil jet. i have used the stock wrist pin and a je one.
the wrist pin keeps galling up. with the je 13:8 two ringer it was bad enough to change the crank.
when i put the stock piston back in every thing seems o.k.

any thoughts?

thanks

mike
Same thing here Mike. Stock rod has no provisions for oiling. Mine doesent anyway. No bushing either. Not sure if the rod is sound enough to be drilling into the small end. Lots of stress right there. Not only reciprocating stress but reciprocating also. I'm afraid of it. What I am gonna try is drill on the very top in the center of the rod. Nothing huge, maybe just .015" with a blended taper down to about .010". I know it seems nothing but with it being on top it'll be less of a stress riser for a crack to start and it'll have a constant supply of oil (However small it may be) to the small end. Even after I kill the motor.
Just something I'm going to try out. I'll try to post a follow up and let you people see how it turns out. Thanks for reading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts