Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heah guys my chassis is starting to crack at the top motor mount on the frame just below the petrol peacock around the top motor mount its a very small hair line crack has anyone seen or had this problem the frame has been heavily gusseted and properly done from day one... should i just weld the crack up?? i can get pic`s just wanted to know has this happened anyone?? it is very recent i race mx and i am clearing most jumps on my tracks and moving into the grade b`s next season...

· Registered
3,688 Posts
Yes this is common. A proper suspension set up and a smooth rider will be alot less stressful on a chassis than a non set up machine with rider who cases and overshoots things. I have yet to crack a frame with a lsr gusset kit on it. I have had a few cracks in a stock frame but not as many as others. I always have a good suspension set up and work on being smooth while riding.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes this is common. A proper suspension set up and a smooth rider will be alot less stressful on a chassis than a non set up machine with rider who cases and overshoots things. I have yet to crack a frame with a lsr gusset kit on it. I have had a few cracks in a stock frame but not as many as others. I always have a good suspension set up and work on being smooth while riding.[/b]
well if its commin thing thats okay my bike runs lsr everything and top of the line peps now and are really well set up but i am jumping further and hitting rough sections at alot harder pace i am going to weld the crack and monitor it... cheers andrew

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah if you could get pics up to see that would be good i grinded mine back and welded with the welder on full up in to the crack and further past both sides just going to spray a little anti rust primer on for now going to powder coat her all white so it will do for now.. cheers

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys, new to the forum and found your conversation. Maybe a stupid question but, I've never welded a frame, I an tog weld and stick weld. Is it a retain type of metal or can I just weld it normally? Is it metal? Or some weird alloy? I have a crack on either side of frame on top motor mounts, I've read that it's pretty common so im not to passed, just I bit afraid of making holes in the chassis if I don't weld it right the first time.
Any help much appreciated!
Cheers

· Registered
06 HRC cam new piston rings crank shaft cam chain sparks full exhaust uni filter many more bolt ons!
1,194 Posts
Hi guys, new to the forum and found your conversation. Maybe a stupid question but, I've never welded a frame, I an tog weld and stick weld. Is it a retain type of metal or can I just weld it normally? Is it metal? Or some weird alloy? I have a crack on either side of frame on top motor mounts, I've read that it's pretty common so im not to passed, just I bit afraid of making holes in the chassis if I don't weld it right the first time.
Any help much appreciated!
Cheers
This theead is very old if you look at the dates at top left of each post. But I believe the frame is aluminum so if you can weld aluminum go for it. Im no welder myself but i know aluminum isnt easy to weld.

· Truck Yea
6,119 Posts
the subframe i recall might be alum but the frame itself is mild steel and easy to weld

· Registered
06 HRC cam new piston rings crank shaft cam chain sparks full exhaust uni filter many more bolt ons!
1,194 Posts
Oh I thought it was all aluminum?

· Registered
1,194 Posts
I just checked with a magnet and cjm youre right. Aluminum sub frame but steel for the rest.

· Making HP ain’t free. . .
5,010 Posts
I recommend mig welding it at least. TIG would allow you a little more control where the cracks are, but it’s not necessary. I have welded a number of frames and installed several gusset kits. I usually weld after I sandblast the frame, but if you don’t sandblast it, make sure you remove all the paint from the area you are going to weld. Make sure to overlap your welds on the round tubing to go over any poor penetration from the cold start at the beginning of the weld. And I HIGHLY recommend a gusset kit after you fix the cracks, that will take the stress off of those repaired areas, and it will strengthen the entire frame a lot. I really like the Teixeira Tech gusset kit, but the Lonestar racing kit is pretty good too. The most important part, at least from my experience, is on the gussets that go in the top of the frame where your cracks are, make sure you properly weld the ends of them and overlap your welds. There’s a lot of stress at those points and you want to make sure they have proper penetration so they don’t start cracking.

· Registered
10 Posts
I recommend mig welding it at least. TIG would allow you a little more control where the cracks are, but it’s not necessary. I have welded a number of frames and installed several gusset kits. I usually weld after I sandblast the frame, but if you don’t sandblast it, make sure you remove all the paint from the area you are going to weld. Make sure to overlap your welds on the round tubing to go over any poor penetration from the cold start at the beginning of the weld. And I HIGHLY recommend a gusset kit after you fix the cracks, that will take the stress off of those repaired areas, and it will strengthen the entire frame a lot. I really like the Teixeira Tech gusset kit, but the Lonestar racing kit is pretty good too. The most important part, at least from my experience, is on the gussets that go in the top of the frame where your cracks are, make sure you properly weld the ends of them and overlap your welds. There’s a lot of stress at those points and you want to make sure they have proper penetration so they don’t start cracking.
Thanks man, i will deffinately be tig welding it as I don't have mig. Also I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of how they've reinforced that area? As I don't want to interfear with anything else.
These are the two sides. How would you recommend me do it? I was going to grind the cracks down a bit to fill in, and was thinking of cutting some slightly larger round pipe and sort of patching it over to try and re informed the area?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts