Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a bike that isnt charging the battery 07ER Ive gone threw the manual. When I come to the charging system, I have unpluged the harnes and checked from black wire to green wire while bike is running. Im only getting 12 volts there, When I rev it up still the same voltage. Am I missing something?
Any thoughts? Hints, tricks?
Thank you

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
So the battery goes dead ??

Remove the regulator plug, measure resistance between all yellow wires, there must be equal resistance between them, a few ohms not kohms, then measure all of them in relation to the engine or green wire but I prefer engine head (bare Al), there should be high resistance, if low stator is shot.

If it check ok measure voltage between green and red, you should see battery voltage, check connectors for overheat, if all ok Regulator rectifier have high chances to be defective.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the batt went dead from last ride. Its a New battery with batt tender pluged in while not riding.
I checked checked between yellow wires, black in 1 slot and red in the other yellow slot. I got .6 then I checked green wire to frame and got .1
Am I doing this correct?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Yes good so far, measure resistance between each yellow wires, must be 1-2 ohms if my memory is right

Ex: 1 with 2 2 with 3 3 with 1

Edit : can you see 12v on the two big wires of the RR plug ??

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Well that leaves the regulator to be defective, for fun you can try to read AC volts on the yellows, but it should work.

One side is the battery the other is a good stator, it leaves what's in between.

if you change it let me know if it fixes it
Cheers

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Battery voltage should not be more than 12,5 V, I had a failing battery that showed higher voltage and destroyed 3 alternators, can your friend loan you his battery to check it out ?? Before this can you measure his just to make sure the multimeter reads right.
Mine shows 12,3V off 14,1 idle 13,8 reved up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts