Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guy's...

I have read a few post's lately of guys asking and talking about how to get to and change your needle. I had to make a change to mine tonight and thought I would shoot some pics of the process and make a write up about it...

First you need to take the bolts out of the radiator shrouds... There are three of them.
One on top of the gas tank,

One under the fender,

And one right under the gas tank right behind the radiator... and no my tank is not scratched, it is fingerprints and the shading makes them show very well. :D

You don’t need to completely remove it from the bike, you can just pull the plastic back so you can get to the gas tank bolts which are also right behind the radiator...

One you do that on both sides, you need to unsnap the plastic from the frame...

Now you need to undo the rubber straps and that is all that is left that is holding the tank on... DONT PULL IT OFF YET... One more crucial step still :D .

Next you need to make sure the gas is turned off and un do the fuel line from the pet cock into the carb. You can undo up towards the tank (which I did because I have fat little fingers and cant get to the one going into the carb).

Now you can lift the tank off. While you have it off be sure to wipe everything up very well before you even attempt to get into the carb. You don't want any dirt or dust getting in there.
***I wiped mine down and it looked clean, but as I was writting this looking at my pics it doesn't look that clean

You can then undo the 4 Phillips screw on top of the carb. (I found it best, thanks to the help of Dez to use a #2 Dry wall Phillips bit.) You will need to apply a decent amount of pressure as these screws are soft and if you strip one of them out you will have some issues)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, I had to do a Part 1 and part 2 because I was over the picture limit per post...

But now that you have the cover off, you need to remove the 2 small Phillips screws down in the carb... It is a little difficult to see them in the pics, but once you get in there you will know exactly which ones they are... they are the only 2 sitting in the bottom... If you can, get a hold of a small Phillips that has a magnet. It is pretty tight in there, and the screws are small so if you drop one of them it will be a little tough to get it out.

After you remove the screws, lift the piece up that you just unscrewed. It will swivel in 2 different spots and you can get it up out of the carb and get it out of your way... If you have big hand's, you may want to have a pair of needle nose pliers handy so you can grab the needle.

(The needle is in the bottom of carb)
(needle is in the bottom of carb)

(After I took the needle out)

After you remove your needle, you need to make the changes or install your new needle. You can go backwards with these steps and once you get it back together, make sure you put the fuel line on before you bolt the tank and shrouds back on. That would be a bummer if you got all done and went to turn the gas on to fire it up and you start smelling gas B) .

Hope this helps someone. If it only helps 1 person I would be happy. If you have any questions you can ask and I can try to answer them for you.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
166 Posts
Any suggestions to get those two screws in the carb out when the head of it is striped out? I'm having a heck of a time trying to get those things out.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm did you already strip them? If no get the finest sharpest newest phillips you can find. Apply some pretty decent presser and turn. If that doesn't work you may try a manual hand help impact wrench with a new phillips bit...

If you have already stripped them I don't know what to tell ya. There are alot of things you can do to get a stripped headed screw out but I dont think you can get in there very well. Normall I would get a dremel and cut a flat line across the center but im pretty sure you can get a dremel in there...

Good luck
Dave

·
Registered
124 Posts
Any suggestions to get those two screws in the carb out when the head of it is striped out? I'm having a heck of a time trying to get those things out.[/b]
I stripped one of my screws too, so I went to Sears and bought 6 1/2" long nose locking pliers (the kinda pliers with the thumb screw on the end to adjust how far the jaw will close). I was able to clamp down on the screw head and twist it enough to loosen it, and then got the phillips back out and unscrewed it the rest of the way.

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
You guys, if you're going to work on these things you need three types of Phillips screwdrivers, #1, #2, and #3 bit. You guys probably jammed a #2 bit down on the screws and twisted and it did nothing but tear the lips off the edge of the screws right? Go down to Sears and get yourself some insurance with some decent screw drivers. A lot less headache.

If you can afford it, find a Snap On tool truck and buy a ratcheting palm driver and an assortment of bits to go with it. They are magnetic, 50 or so bits in the kit, and you can use them with the 1/4" adapter and use it for a nut driver too. Great tool!!! I've had mine for about 10 years now, I don't think I could live without it. I even use it as a jet wrench, Keihen long hex main jets fit right in like it was made for it. Mikunis' hex jets too.

Tony

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pilot is also easy to get to, but I don't think it is necassary to change it. If you can adjust it out with the air screw you should not need to change the pilot (if your more than 3 turns out you will have to).

I will get some pics up in a little while once I get off of work and get home.

Dave

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SORRY FOR FUZZY PICS... This was pretty tough area to get good pics of. It is dark when you get up inside the frame, I had the flash on, tried to use some natural lighting and still could not get it. But the pics will be good enough to get you a quick glance of what your going to be tackling.

There is a little flat head screw on the left side bottom of the bowl. Undo that screw and it will drain the fuel out. Be sure to throw a towel down so you don't have a big pool of gas (it wont be huge but you will have a fair amount run out). Be sure to tighten this screw back up after all the gas has ran out.

Next loosen the two Phillip head screws that are on the boots to the airbox and the motor.

Now you should be able to tilt the carb up so you can see the underside of it. You will see a big bolt (17mm), undo that and be careful because you may have a little bit more gas come out of that.

Once you get that off, you can look up inside the bottom of the carb and you will see your Main jet. It is a 6mm and a 6mm should fit it very nicely. Just loosen it and pull it out.
That is your Jet....

This is showing inside the bottom of the carb with the main jet removed...

Once you get the jet out, you can put your new one it. I have never used loctite and you do not want to over tighten it. If you strip this out you will have some serious problems.

Once you get it back in, put the 17mm bolt back in, turn the carb to normal position and with a flash light look to see the little notch in the boot lines up with the notch on the carb.
***My pic is pretty tough to see, but you can see a small notch in the boot, and you will see a small "nipple" on the carb. Just make sure the "nipple" is inside the notch of the boot. I am holding a screddriver right underneath the notch and nipple i am talking about.***

Now tighten the boot clamps back up, turn the gas on, check to make sure you have no gas leaking anywhere, give it a few blips of the throttle (maybe 4 or 5) to get the gas back down through the carb and kick away. You should get it lit in 1 or 2 kicks.

Dave

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pics are now up of the Main Jet. Sorry they are fuzzy, it was tought to get decent pics. When I have some free time this next weekend I will get some more if it isn't raining outside... But these should get you started for now.

Dave

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Thank you Dave!! :D I will have no problems with the rejetting now B) This thread is a life-saver. If Luke doesn't put this in the FAQ tomorrow .. I will remind him. Unless you would rather take some clearer pics and edit this thread before he does (I think these are more than fine .. they will be more than enough to get me through this ... but if you want to then feel free
)

-Zack-

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD@Nov 8 2004, 08:20 PM
Thank you Dave!! :D  I will have no problems with the rejetting now B) This thread is a life-saver.  If Luke doesn't put this in the FAQ tomorrow .. I will remind him.  Unless you would rather take some clearer pics and edit this thread before he does (I think these are more than fine .. they will be more than enough to get me through this ... but if you want to then feel free
)

-Zack-
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29354
[/quote]
You can move it to the FAQ section and when I have time I will have one of the mods update the pics... As you said, it will get you where you need to be. You can only a look at a pic so many times before you just do it anyway.

That is what I did with my cam.... checked out the pics that Schmitty posted, then went to the garage and dug in. At least jetting it very easy to do, and with the help of the board you should be able to get it spot on so you will only have to change it one time.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.