Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was gonna attempt to do this. so i look up the parts and bought only the mechanical seal to reaplce.

so i remove the water pump cover, drain the coolant first, the break loose the impellers, then remove it. then i jsut go and pull out the mechanical seals and put in the new on, and put eveything back together.

is it that simple? im just making sure.
looks like i dont even need to remove the right side case to do this. after the mechanical seal there is a alum wall of the right case, behind this wall or on the other side, is the oil seal and bearing for the water impeller shaft.

the service manual under cooling suggest to replace the mechanical seal to first take off the right side case, remove the shaft, shaft bearing, oil seal then tak out the mechanical seal, replace the shaft bearing, oil seal when re- installing.
isnt the mechanical seal on the opposite side of the oil seal and bearing, it doesnt connect to these at all?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
here is a picture where the mechanical seal is suppose to go. but im not sure of the answer here.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
the 'correct' method....

is to remove the right side case.....remove the bearing and oil seal from inside.....then punch out the mech seal..... then replace in reverse order.... including a new oil seal.....

HOWEVER........ when my mechanical seal went out..... I simply did as you did...... its fairly easy to remove the water pump cover and impeller.....then pry out the old mech seal.... replace with a new one..... tap it in with a socket or similar item....and bingo.... your all done......just be careful not to damage the teflon portion....

mine has been holding up just fine......

jmho...me~

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot for the reply!
yea i mean i thought i had the right idea, i just didnt understand why honda tells you to take off the oil seal, and bearing first which seem to be a PITA for bearing, when it seems you can just remove the mech. seal alone and just push a new one in. ill make sure not to damage the teflon on the seal thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
anyone hear pull the bearing out the proper way? i couldn't find this post on how to do it without taking off the right case cover. so i went to do it how the manual says.. i dont have a bearing hole puller and i don't wanna buy a set for 50-120$.. any suggestions? thanks guys!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
how did you guys put in the new mechanical seal..?? i used a 21mm socket.. and broke the top Teflon pieces so now i'm ordering anew one.. any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just replaced one with the cover off and had no issue. I used a vise and socket to press the new seal in slowly, just make sure the socket is centered on the new seal and slowly press it in.. I will probably be replacing another before long on a different bike..

·
Registered
169 Posts
hmm socket on top of the seal? what size socket for reference? i tried going around the upper plastic piece and that didnt work lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts