Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking, doing some research, but i couldn't find exactly what i'm looking for.

Here it goes. Traded my jet ski for this '04 450r, it has the HRC Kit, ESR pipe, and no airbox with a K&N filter and outerwear. I wasnt thrilled about the K&N when i took it off and saw sand in the pipe. I'm thinking of getting a foam filter, but not sure which one to get. I'm also going to run an outerwear.

My biggest problem is, do you guys think i'll need to re-jet, if i switch back to a foam filter? It runs really good right now.

I ride trails, and sand.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I am assuming if you are running an ESR Pipe and a KN Style filter that you have an ESR Airbox Eliminator Kit.

If you are seeing sand in the intake then you probably need to clean and oil your filter and run an outerwear.

If you are still concerned about debris getting into your motor then I would suggest going back to the stock airbox without a lid and running a foam filter.

As far as jetting, there are just so many variables the nobody can really give you a number for certain. To get it perfect you really need to through it on a dyno with an AF meter. Otherwise the HRC jet kit should be close enough to be safe.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
get an outer wear
clean your filter from the out side in and change your oil/oil filter........
changing the oil is always a good idea when you buy a used bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gumby! I think i'm going to oil my filter, put the outerwear on it, and ride for awhile. I'll check it and see if anything is passing through. If so, i'm putting my airbox back on, without a lid, and getting a "twin air" filter. Is there any certain foam filter that has an outerwear available?

Thanks again,
Chris

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
i run an esr intake without the airbox and dont have a problem with it.
check the filter and outerwear for breaks or rips.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
what ^ HE ^ said..

I ride a LOT Of sand......and it doesnt get past my K&N style filter with outwears.....but you do hafta be careful and make SURE the pre-filter is on correctly, and there are no tears/holes in it..... even if you have to use a large rubber band at the open end to keep that area secure......

from what I understand...you cannot use a pre-filter (outer wears) on a foam filter..... the oil from the foam filter sticks and penetrates the pre-filter and everything gets PLUGGED up.... hence the reason why they do not offer pre-filters for foam filters...

jmho...me~

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There was only a tiny amount of debris, which most people wouldnt notice.

Good advice, and thanks for your time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts