Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious if anyone is adding a master link to make chain cleaning easier. does it affect strengh? how do most people clean their chain?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
chain maint.

see if this helps. I use chain wax so i get the chain hot then put the quad on a stand. this is a little dangerous but once its on the stand you can put it in 1st gear and let it run at idle. while its doing this you can take a wire brush with some wd-40 and scrub the chain. be very carefull. once its clean apply your lube. this is how i do it. use your own descretion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The best time to do it is when it is warm. The chain that is not the weather :D. Do it pretty much as stated above. I like the new Honda stuff with White graphite. It goes on thin and will work into the chain but then sets up tacky and stays there.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
whats its exact name and how much is it?
i am very interested in it. i have been using chain wax and i realy dont like it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I work as the Head of the ATV Dept for the Iron pony. The best stuff i've found is Bell Ray's Super Clean Chainlube, 15 minutes on a COLD chain and there is NO fling off guaranteed. plus it leaves a white film so u can see were u've applied it, sand and mud do not stick to it as well. I use it on all my race bikes, I race Nationals.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Originally posted by nacsmx450r@Mar 25 2004, 02:12 AM
The best stuff i've found is Bell Ray's Super Clean Chainlube, 15 minutes on a COLD chain and there is NO fling off guaranteed.  plus it leaves a white film so u can see were u've applied it, sand and mud do not stick to it as well. I use it on all my race bikes, I race Nationals.
How expensive is this stuff?

·
Registered
133 Posts
it's about 8 bucks for a big can.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i get it throught work www.ironpony.com I think it's like 5 or 6 bucks a can through me, if u wanna pay the shipping and stuff i'll send it to ya but it'll be a wile b4 i can get some i'm goin to va to race this weekend i may go home next weekend but i'm not sure.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is a quote from the Sidewinder website:

WARNING #3 DO NOT USE GASOLINE, LACQUER THINNER OR ANY STRONG SOLVENTS TO CLEAN O-RING CHAIN. IT WILL ATTACK THE RUBBER O-RINGS. USE HOT SOAPY WATER AND A NYLON BRUSH. A WIRE BRUSH IS A NO-NO!!

I agree with this, o-rings need careful attention if you want the chain to last. I use Sidewinder's P-51 lube because it doesn't require anything more than soapy hot water to brush off. Some others I've tried are much more stubborn to get off. The Sidewinder stuff is a bit expensive, but I feel it's totally worth it, it's great stuff.

Be careful reading some suggestions for chain care, as dirt bikers don't always use o-ring chains and street bikers don't have the same dirt element to deal with that we do.

-RR

·
Registered
263 Posts
nacs is right that stuff is the poo! :lol:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was just going through my maual and noticed it said "Never use a master link in your trx chain".

Maybe I hang out with too many dirt bikers, but whenever I replace stock with aftermarket chains, I always use a master link. The last setup I had was a Ti-moly sidewinder and I never had problems with the master link, but kept a couple spares in case.

What's everybody else's opinionon this matter? Is Honda just being overly cautious in their manual like usual?

-RR

·
Registered
870 Posts
This is the first bike I have owned that didn't have a master link, even my CR 500 had a master link, I can't really see there being a problem. Just make sure you install the clip the right way, so it doesn't catch something and fly off. When I replace the stock chain, I will be using a chain with a master link.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Has anyone installed a clip style master link? I have heard that Honda used the endless chain for safety?

What does everyone use for chain lube. I have been using PJ1 Blue label but it gobs up badly in the sand.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I use the pro Honda HP chain lube stuff....good enough for me....If my chain has problems, I will buy a new one...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought Sidewinder's chain lube, which is supposed to NOT collect sand and dust. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I run a D.I.D. 520 X ring chain on my Z400 and it has the clip style master link. I have never had a problem with it. Only thing I could see where it would have a problem is if you took the link on and off a few times and weakened the clip. I am putting a Renthal R-3 O ring chain on my 450R. For lube I use Maxima Chain Wax and am happy with it. The track I am a member at is mostly sand and I haven't had a problem with it globbing up any.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts