Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you adjust the chain? I put a 12 tooth front sprocket on and the chain is loose and i do not know how to adjust the chain! please help me asap!!!!

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
How do you adjust the chain? I put a 12 tooth front sprocket on and the chain is loose and i do not know how to adjust the chain! please help me asap!!!![/b]

Losen the carrier pinch bolts on your swinger, then get a punch and roll the carrier back until the chain is tight at full suspension EXTENSION .... You want to be able to move the chain 1/2" with 10lbs of force ... Thats how i do it ...

OR YOU CAN ...

<div align="center">TRX450R Chain Adjustment

First compress the the rear suspension till the distance from the top of the axle on the left side is 17 inches from the center of the left front grab bar bolt as shown in the following photos. Then adjust the chain tight. How tight?? 10 lbs. of pressure to deflect 1/2 inch is fine.

^^^ that is just a reference and not 100% fail proof acurate ... Some Swingers are longer than others and that will cause the measurement to be off a bit ... But it will still get you really close ...

ALSO .... With a 12t front sprocket, i am not sure if you have enough adjustment in your carrier to tighten it up ... ???

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your right, i had to get a master link from the dealer and take a link out, then i adjusted it and now its cool! thanks!

·
Registered
324 Posts
sounds like you need to read your owners manual

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I just loosen the 4 bolts on the carrier, pull it back and measure the slack on the chain to spec that is listed behind the rear brake light under the seat.

As mentioned in your case, this might not be enough, but that is how you would regularly adjust it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If I was you I would go ahead and buy the shop manual.... can get really cheap of internet if you wanna download it or something and really helps in a lotta stuff...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Best way to do it is insert a proper size thick Allen wrench through the sprocket and into the carrier slot. Use the sprocket to apply leverage against after loosening the four pinch bolts. Simply roll the quad back or forth whether you are loosening or tighten ing the chain. The carrier will move quite easily. Much easier than trying to muscle it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts