Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, how hard is this. I just looked and the carb is way up in there. how much crap I gotta remove to do this etc. thanks

·
Registered
733 Posts
rear plastics, front plastics, and gas tank are the main pieces. it's not too difficult. you will also need to take the screws out of your airbox and pull it back to remove your carb.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you are kidding, right? all that for a needle and jet change. who designed this motor. I may just stay stock. thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just removed the rear plastic (6 bolts?) and the gas tank (4 bolts?). You can reach in behind the front plastic's wings to get to the two tank bolts without taking the front plastic off. You don't need to remove the carb, only take the top off.

If you want to change the main jet but not adjust the needle, do it from the bottom by taking off the 17mm cap then use a 6mm on the jet. You can do that without removing anything whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Originally posted by foolofsand@Sep 13 2004, 01:13 AM
you are kidding, right? all that for a  needle and jet change.  who designed this motor. I may just stay stock. thanks
hes not kidding and taking all that off takes about 15 to 20 minutes :D unless ur tank is full

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
xactly, an hour for a jet & needle change. ugh. love that stock machine. no touchey. if do the needle, jet and dr d endpipe this thing better run alot better or back to stock it goes. I hate wastin time.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
You do not have to remove any plastic. You guys are making it alot harder than it is. Not that removing the plastic is that hard, but save your fastners.
Just the gas tank. If you have gear wrenches (for the 8mm bolts under front plastic, for gas tank).
Try out a YFZ, you have to remove plastic to add water, change spark plug, and jet carb.

·
Registered
11 Posts
all i did was losein the clamps on both sides of the carb and rotate it around to me put the jet in rotated it the other way and did the needle it was simple you can get to it pretty good from the left side

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good idea to just twist the carb to rejet. After removing the carb to replace the needle jet and main jet and putting all together again I didn't like the results. So I changed the main jet out 3 or 4 times from the bottom without removing the carb and it was tough.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
soooooo, some of you are saying I can re-needle and re-jet by loosening the carb screws, turning the carb sideways and away we go. It doesnt look like there is enough room to do that. do you guys have gumby-type arms and fingers? I couldnt even see the clamps that hold the carb on up under the frame. what am I missing here? thanks again for the responses

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by foolofsand@Sep 15 2004, 01:45 AM
soooooo, some of you are saying I can re-needle and re-jet by loosening the carb screws, turning the carb sideways and away we go.  It doesnt look like there is enough room to do that.  do you guys have gumby-type arms and fingers?  I couldnt even see the clamps that hold the carb on up under the frame.  what am I missing here?  thanks again for the responses
It doesnt matter how big your arms are...mine are big, no problem. you dont have to take the plastic off, just the gas tank. leave the back plastic alone. I twisted carb sideways for main jet, and take the top of the carb off for the needle...its simple and took me about 30 min....and that is with having issues taking tank off, cause left plastic was attached to tank and the screw would not come out becasue the threads in the gas tank spin with the screw.

Just for you info. when tightning the screws into the gas tank...dont over tighten them....cause you wont get them back out...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just removed the blots hooking to the tank through the plastic. What other bolts do I have to remove to get te gastank off?

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
So, anyone of you guys that re-jet all the time wanna give us a quick step-by-step with little tid bits we may need along the way (for example: turn off the gas before you take the tank off - or something to that effect) :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts