Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thing where ya put in the hex wrench to tighten or loosen the chain won't budge. I've backed out all 4 swingarm bolts all the way. I was wanting to change the front sprocket, but I guess I'm screwed. I've stood (200lbs) and basically jumped on the wrench to try and get it to budge either way. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
call me a cave man, but after loosening the 4 end bolts, i use a big rubber hammer and large screwdriver to adjust mine.... tap away, but WITHIN REASON.... to get it to move... those holes made for the allen wrench are a good place to seat the large screwdriver tip... again...WITHIN REASON...dont tear it up.. :cheers:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
call me a cave man, but after loosening the 4 end bolts, i use a hammer and large screwdriver to adjust mine.... tap away, but WITHIN REASON.... to get it to move...[/b]
Failed to mention I used a hammer and bent a screw driver, LOL.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still won't budge, just broke a screwdriver. :confused: :mad2: It's a craftsman, wonder if they'll take it back.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
well the next thing on my caveman check list is the electric heat gun...heat that huge nut a little? ill just shut up after this... :nuke:

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
well the next thing on my caveman check list is the electric heat gun...heat that huge nut a little? ill just shut up after this... :nuke:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
sometimes the clip can bind on the other side and not allowing the carrier to rotate in the housing.

you did grease the pizz out of the outside of the carrier last time you had it out? right?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
i would remove the bearing carrier and grease it and put it back together.

it should move with the allen wrench and one hand. never had any trouble out of mine. good luck.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K, I haven't tried loosening it since I got it back from KBR (thanks). I'll mess with it, but I won't be able to change it before I go riding tomorrow. :(

·
450R Rider
1,148 Posts
I loosen the 4 pinch bolts, and use a 12" 1/4 extension, fits perfect. if its really stuck I squirt it on both sides with wd and use a chisel or a big screwdriver to open the bearing carrier gap.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
hold the carrier still and spin the back wheels...

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I loosen the 4 pinch bolts, and use a 12" 1/4 extension, fits perfect. if its really stuck I squirt it on both sides with wd and use a chisel or a big screwdriver to open the bearing carrier gap.[/b]

dont use wd40. that stuff is a solvent and allthough it works great for other things, the one thing you dont want to use it on is near parts that need to stay greased. if wd40 gets to the grease it will start to kill it.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
one way i adjust my chain is loosen the carrier bolts with the bike on the ground. push the quad forward. the rotation of the tires and sprocket moves the carrier forward or back. verry easy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chain wont tighten

I have done the same on my 05 TRX450R, i loosened the bolts in the back but when i try to tighten the chain by spinning the plate by the sprocket the chain wont tighten, and i am questioning why?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cant tighten chain

i cant tighten my chain, i loosened the bolts in the back and i keep spinning the plate by the sprocket but the chain doesn't tighten at all.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just so you know, this thread is ancient. But that's okay.

A few questions for you. Does the carrier spin freely in the swinger? What is the condition of the bearings and when was the last time you had the carrier out? Did you just install a new chain or anything? Provide as much information as possible.

Sent from my HTC using tapatalk.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Best way to do it is insert a proper size thick Allen wrench through the sprocket and into the carrier slot. Use the sprocket to apply leverage against after loosening the four pinch bolts. Simply roll the quad back or forth whether you are loosening or tighten ing the chain. The carrier will move quite easily. Much easier than trying to muscle it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts