Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some searching on here and can't quite find the answer I'm looking for. Next weekend I'll be doing a cam install and need to know what to do with the cam chain tensioner. The factory manual shows a tool used to maintain tension while taking things apart. What have some of you done with the tensioner when installing a cam?

Forgive me if this is a simple question, but this is only my 2nd 4 stroke engine teardown (the other was an XR50 :D ). I can tear a 250R engine down and reassemble in my sleep, but 4 strokes are a new deal for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just remove the two bolts and let the tensioner extend fully, then on reinstall remove the 8mm bolt from the rear of the tensioner and with a small flat blade screwdriver turn the plunger inside counterclockwise , I am not totally sure which way . But turn until the plunger retracts fully. Now install tensioner in cylinder while holding screwdriver, snug up the bolts and release the screwdriver. Now all that is left is to torque the bolts down. Last thing that I have found that helps get the tension right is to make sure you are at tdc now take the small screwdriver retract plunger completly and pull screwdriver out this will let the spring apply full pressure to plunger. Sorry the post is so long, but hope it helps.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by fourtraxmc@Sep 27 2004, 10:21 PM
Sorry the post is so long, but hope it helps.
Haha ... thanks man. It helps, I just might have to read it a few times to get a good picture in my mind
:wacko: Thanks again B)

-Zack-

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fourtraxmc described how I did it as well. The only thing I would add is that I clamped a small (6") vise grip on the handle of the small screw driver. I wasn't nimble enough to hold the screwdriver under spring tension with one hand while starting and threading in the mounting bolts with the other. :lol: B)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts