Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering getting a cam for mine. I have never put one in before and was wondering if this was something I should do myself. what special tools or shims will I need and how much will tools run me. Would it be smarter to just let a shop do it? I called one of the local honda shops (I have 4 within an hour of me) and they said it'd be between $120-$150 for labor to put in and that didn't include shim prices or anything?

I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have read through the how-to's. All sounds easy other then when it starts talking about the measurments and shims, sounds like its so precise and i'd hate to get it wrong.

thoughts?

·
Registered
235 Posts
i've read a ton too and i'm going to give it a shot tonight on mine. I'm putting in a HC2.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
its hard to say how 'easy' it is...cuzz I have been working on engines all my life....

so to me, its relatively simple... but I guess it all depends on what your used to...

you will NEED a torque wrench...and other metric hand tools..including feeler gauges, etc...

it is NICE to have an impact driver (removal of stubborn bolts) and compression tester (to set decomp)

the rest is kinda simple.... remove plastics, tank, tank protector, valve cover, etc.... loosen DECOMP allen head bolt PRIOR to removing the cam carrier... loosen the allen head cam gear bolts...I always loosen them, rather than removing them, until I have been able to rotate cam back to correct TDC timing....then loosen/remove chain tensioner... then I just use my fingers to remove them and keep the chain secured with a tie-wrap of some sort..... simple enough...

once the carrier is out on the work bench...you can remove the decomp assembly (that you already loosened) and install new cam.... then reverse the process..... check timing via the crank gear TDC inspection plug on right side case...and timing marks on cam gear...make sure cam lobes are facing upward/rearward (towards seat) when installing.... double check your cam timing after tightening the chain tensioner....

if all is good.....now is the time to check decomp compression and valve adjustments...... adjust accordingly

button her up and fire her up......

im sure I left out some steps cuzz I was typing in a hurry.....but there are NUMEROUS articles on this procedure, along with pics....

jmho....g

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
It's worth doing yourself. Get a hotcams shim kit, you can find them cheap if you look around. Then you have the kit for any future valve adjustments too.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mines a 08er that i'm about to do this to. Do i just remove the whole autodecomp mechanism on the outside? also what install lube do you use when installing the cam.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I cant say about the 'auto' decomp assembly...cuzz I have never worked on anything newer than 07... but I would have to assume it comes off just as easy.... you just dont have the 'ability' to adjust according to compression and what not... so lets hope it does what it is SUPPOSE to do...and adjust decomp pressure automatically...lol

I use an old can of Isky cam lube.... but any high moly assembly lube works great.... just coat the lobes, and pour some oil over the top after installed back on the engine.... should be just fine...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes you will have to take the decomp off but when you take out the bolt leave all the decomp together as one piece and it will go right back on. Just a tip zip tie the timing chain to the sprocket so you wont have to worry about if you are off a tooth or two on the timing.

·
Registered
235 Posts
ok so i can probly just go to a autozone or something like that and get the lube for the job? and I am going to put the ziptie on the chain so i'm not messing with any of that

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yea i'm going to do it myself tonight and i have the rockinhorse deal printed out so i can go step by step and also ghotts help page for the valve clearances. Just hoping everything will go as well as can be hoped lol

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
If the valves do not have alot of hours on them now you may get lucky and not have any shim changes with the st II. GL

·
Registered
235 Posts
i have my cam out and ready to put the hc2 in but the middle hole on it where on the stock cam has a little piece that slides into it. Do i need to take it out and put it onto the hc2 since it has the same hole but yet no piece to put into the hole. Sorry if this isn't making much since this is my first cam change. If so how do i do this.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i need a answer fast please

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm still not sure if this is something I want to tackle myself. But I also don't want to pay out the ass at a shop. I guess the worst that would happen is i get it apart and can't figure it out and then have to take it to a shop. Like I said before the only thing i'm not sure on is the cleanances, shims, etc. Just those last couple steps when putting it back together. The rest I know I can do no problem.

Anyone live near southern ohio and would like to stop by and do this with me? I'll buy the beer! :drink:

·
Registered
235 Posts
my install was going smooth until i noticed my stock cam has a pin inside the hole pointed out in the pic and the hc2 doesn't and idk if i'm supposed to take the stock one out or just install it without there being anything in that hole? Any info would be great.

Attachments

• 260.9 KB Views: 40

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
i'm still not sure if this is something I want to tackle myself. But I also don't want to pay out the ass at a shop. I guess the worst that would happen is i get it apart and can't figure it out and then have to take it to a shop. Like I said before the only thing i'm not sure on is the cleanances, shims, etc. Just those last couple steps when putting it back together. The rest I know I can do no problem.

Anyone live near southern ohio and would like to stop by and do this with me? I'll buy the beer! :drink:[/b]

How much beer?

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
my install was going smooth until i noticed my stock cam has a pin inside the hole pointed out in the pic and the hc2 doesn't and idk if i'm supposed to take the stock one out or just install it without there being anything in that hole? Any info would be great.[/b]

I'm going to say yes because it makes sense... But I have no idea... One thing I've learned is, when in doubt call the tech support line...

Hot Cams Products, Inc.
2751 Parkside Circle
Urbandale, IA 50322, USA
Ph: 515-402-8005
Fax: 515-402-8002

For Sales and Technical Support:
[email protected]

For Distributor Inquiries:
[email protected]

For Rider Support:
[email protected]

That's the fastest bestest way. Hope it helps...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
X2

Yes you will have to take the decomp off but when you take out the bolt leave all the decomp together as one piece and it will go right back on. Just a tip zip tie the timing chain to the sprocket so you wont have to worry about if you are off a tooth or two on the timing.[/b]

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Anyone live near southern ohio and would like to stop by and do this with me? I'll buy the beer! :drink:[/b]

How much beer?
[/b]
drink until the jobs done!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts