Honda TRX 450R banner

Cam install help Charleston Sc

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  duke416ex 
#1 ·
Well, after being quoted way to much and not being able to find a good shop near charleston SC I have decided to install the cam myself.

It would put my mind at ease to have someone knowledgeable come teach me/walk me through how to do this. I think I have the basic tools such as wrenches such. ( no feelers, shims, or torque wrench).

Id pay and feed. If your in the area and willing to help please shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

#2 ·
haha fly me out there. feelers and torque wrenches need to be added to your arsenal ASAP! must have tools for any sport atv or dirtbike. ive always just gotten my measurements and bought the shim that fit my measurement at the local shop instead of the huge kits. youtube for trx450r or crf450 cam installs and im sure you will find good footage with step by step. its a great thing to learn since every couple you want to check your valves as regular maintenance

#4 ·
Get a Honda manual...makes life a lot easier. You need shims, feeler gauges, some loctite, assembly lube and a cam gear holder, a 6mm hex allen head socket for the cam gear makes life easier too. Don't drop anything in the case, don't forget to lube the cam rolling areas and break it in properly. If you follow the manual to a T and take your time...it's easy...good luck.

#5 ·
I agree with immortal. You will be amazed what you will be able to do with the service manual. I have never work on quad before and I just did my first top end rebuild using the manual. I've never work on cars or anything before.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I do have all those tools at home in WV but I am in school in SC with only a limited number of items.

I guess I will try to find a manual online to print off and then go buy some tools and give this a shot. But by all means, if your close Id still love a hand.

Is there anything I need to do about setting the timing or anything like that? I understand (somewhat) about the feelers and shims and using the equations but I haven't read anything about timing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.