Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this 07 450er in February. Rode it a little bit (5 or so hours) and opened it to check valves. It’s got a gouge or groove in the cam lobe right in the center. It’s never been ran low on oil since I got it and had no issues. There is no signs of damage that I can see elsewhere on the roller or other lobes Except for a little wear maybe, but I have not pulled the cam tower and checked the buckets or anything out. I messaged the seller and he said it was old damage prior to rebuild and builder said use it, but he didn’t get into specifics. I’m a little worried about the cam and already have a 06 crf cam laying around. What do y’all think was the cause and should I change it out? Could it be something worse causing this or would I see more damage? Have no clue what to think. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,352 Posts
I agree. If it was a big expensive WebCam or something I might run it and keep an eye on it. But you can get a good stock cam for about $20. Or take advantage of the opportunity to put an aftermarket cam in.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. If it was a big expensive WebCam or something I might run it and keep an eye on it. But you can get a good stock cam for about $20. Or take advantage of the opportunity to put an aftermarket cam in.
I guess I should of added that it’s a 2003 crf cam which are hard to come by/aren’t produced anymore. Motor has 10 hours on it and guy swears he just reused the cam but I’m concerned about this one grenading or as to why he didn’t swap it. I have a spare 2006 crf cam, but didn’t know if I should run this one and monitor it or what I should inspect?

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
I guess I should of added that it’s a 2003 crf cam which are hard to come by/aren’t produced anymore. Motor has 10 hours on it and guy swears he just reused the cam but I’m concerned about this one grenading or as to why he didn’t swap it. I have a spare 2006 crf cam, but didn’t know if I should run this one and monitor it or what I should inspect?
The 03 is hard to come by because it was the weakest of the crf cams, i would take a stage 2, 02 crf, 05 crf or either hrc cams over the 03

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve got a 04-06 crf cam for it already here. Anything I should inspect before install?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts