Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the tranny oil on my 450R this weekend, and when i was putting the drain bolt back in, I busted the head off. What is the best thing for me to do?!??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
566 Posts
go to the auto parts store and get you an "easy out". Real simple process.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, this and my new bolt will be all i need?

·
Registered
566 Posts
yup, you will need a drill and a few smaller bits.

I read this a while ago and found it useful, it might come in handy
http://tooltalkwithjim.com/?p=140

Get your self a new bolt and crush washer too and youll be set

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
be carefull with any drill shavings going in the engine.

if the bolt head is broken the rest of it should spin in the threads.
i did my budddies one time. put a magnet on there and just spin it.

·
Oregon Coast Duner
2,482 Posts
A reverse drill bit would be a good idea as well for drilling the hole... that way if the bolt takes off the drill won't push it into the case... Might even grab and pull it out while drilling...

·
Registered
362 Posts
i've used the same "center punch method" that guy talked about in the article, it works pretty well. once the head is broken off all the tension on the threads is taken off so it should come out pretty easy.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
maybe it would be a good idea to take the side cover off, its only a couple bolts, pretty easy and you can insure nothing goes into your engine, and it will be 10x times easier to work on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe it would be a good idea to take the side cover off, its only a couple bolts, pretty easy and you can insure nothing goes into your engine, and it will be 10x times easier to work on.[/b]

yeah, thats a good idea. thanks! :thumbsup:

i think im gonna take that cover off, center punch, and see what i really small reverse bit will do for me.

·
Registered
497 Posts
maybe it would be a good idea to take the side cover off, its only a couple bolts, pretty easy and you can insure nothing goes into your engine, and it will be 10x times easier to work on.[/b]

i think im gonna take that cover off, center punch, and see what i really small reverse bit will do for me.
[/b]

break, if your not careful... (sorry, first thing that popped into my head when i read that and made me laugh, i could picture myself shattering one and getting all sorts of pissed off)

if the threads arent boogered up it should be able to just thread out with a pick, i have done this one of the cam bolts in my big block chevy. i thought i was fricked, but it happened to thread right out by using the pick to turn it becasue the threads were clean and the bolt wasnt bottomed.

Eric

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

[/b]

break, if your not careful... (sorry, first thing that popped into my head when i read that and made me laugh, i could picture myself shattering one and getting all sorts of pissed off)

if the threads arent boogered up it should be able to just thread out with a pick, i have done this one of the cam bolts in my big block chevy. i thought i was fricked, but it happened to thread right out by using the pick to turn it becasue the threads were clean and the bolt wasnt bottomed.

haha, true.

what do you mean with a pick?

Eric
[/b]

·
Registered
497 Posts
QUOTE(Lumi @ Aug 12 2008, 10:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=542638
<div class='quotemain'>maybe it would be a good idea to take the side cover off, its only a couple bolts, pretty easy and you can insure nothing goes into your engine, and it will be 10x times easier to work on.[/b]

[/b]

haha, true.

what do you mean with a pick?

Eric
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

generally when a bolt breaks its rough, and there will be a "peak" so to speak in it, and it will generally go in the direction that you were going when you broke the head off. well i took the sharp pick and stuck it close to the outside edge by that peak, using it to keep the pick from sliding off and tried to rotate the broken bolt section out.

clear as mud right? take a look at your broken stud that is left and see if you can see what im talking about... i just walked the broken remains out by unthreading it with the pick, kind of along the lines of using it like a screwdriver...

Eric

·
Registered
544 Posts
Once the sidecase is off, you may be able to spin it out from the inside ( atleast spin it out enough to get fingers on it on the outside ) if the bolt is long enough to reach inside enough to get your fingers on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts