Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my quad has been burning a whole tank of oil after a 10 minute rip, ever since i rebuilt it. Haven't had any REAL help on it so I decided to take the valve cover off again last night and found this. Wtf could've cause this? I replaced crank, piston literally everything beside the cases, head and camassembly

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
First thing I see is that the Decompressor wheel is is seized, I can tell by the "Blue-ing" on the wheel where it's been "skidding" That wheel should spin freely. That should not cause crank case pressure though.

Was the Oil One Way Reed Re-Installed or Replaced?

Did you notice any Smoking by chance?

Did you go through the Valves and replace the Valve Guide seals?

Did your get the Cylinder re honed (Re-Crosshatched)

Did you install the new Main Crank Seals?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing I see is that the Decompressor wheel is is seized, I can tell by the "Blue-ing" on the wheel where it's been "skidding" That wheel should spin freely. That should not cause crank case pressure though.

Was the Oil One Way Reed Re-Installed or Replaced?
Yes
Did you notice any Smoking by chance?
Yes burning tons of oil. A whole case of oil in a ride
Did you go through the Valves and replace the Valve Guide seals?
Yes new valves, valve job, springs retainers everything new guide seals

Did your get the Cylinder re honed (Re-Crosshatched)
Yes, honed oem cylinder and bought new cylinder works cylinder. Same problem
Did you install the new Main Crank Seals?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Idk if it's crankcase pressure...I just know I'm going through WAY more oil than even a worn out piston and rings would burn...and they are brand new 12 to 1 cp with their rings

·
Registered
494 Posts
What size Piston and Cylinder are you running? 94mm? Also did you Gap the Piston rings by chance? if not it's possible that you might have caused the piston ring/rings to over expand and break the rings and Ring Lands.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could bad decompression clearance cause the wheel to stay too close to the cam?
What size Piston and Cylinder are you running? 94mm? Also did you Gap the Piston rings by chance? if not it's possible that you might have caused the piston ring/rings to over expand and break the rings and Ring Lands.
94mm 12:1 cp piston. Rings gapped according to the paper they sent me. New cylinder works cylinder oh and I replaced the one way Reed valve...does the Reed valve keep the tranny and crankcase oil separate?? Cuz my tranny oil level hasn't changed or hasn't had any oil migration. I'm pretty sure you can't install the Reed valve incorrectly, like it can only go in the right way, correct?? Replaced the pressure relief valve too. It seems like I've done EVERYTHING possible besides split the cases...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts