Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 TRX 450 kicker Purchased non- running. Replaced crank, and top end. Started it up and runs fine but was burning coolant, replaced head gasket and installed new head studs. Started it up and ran fine for about 5 minutes, then started burning coolant again. Hooked air compressor to spark plug and the only hissing I hear is out the exhaust. I do not see any cranks in cylinder or head, I am stumped.

·
Registered
2004 TRX450R
100 Posts
Did you put a straight edge on anything before assembly? Measure the cross radius of the studs? When my head gasket was about to go, it would only loose coolant(push out through overflow) under heavy duress. leak down didn't detect it. Were you're studs loose when checked? Stretched? Chase the threads? Just thoughts.

·
Registered
2004 TRX450R
100 Posts
If its none of those possibilities, then I would have a head shop look for hairline cracks in the head. Again Im no pro but, I think thats the right course of action.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you put a straight edge on anything before assembly? Measure the cross radius of the studs? When my head gasket was about to go, it would only loose coolant(push out through overflow) under heavy duress. leak down didn't detect it. Were you're studs loose when checked? Stretched? Chase the threads? Just thoughts.
I had milled the head a little with fine sand paper and really thought that studs had stretched. Threads were fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts