Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was removing the cover for my oil filter and the longer of the two bolts broke off inside. My friend said that he's heard of this happening on Hondas before. I have two questions. Is this common? I tighten it to spec and change the filter often and it broke while LOOSENING it. Also. any recommendations on getting it out? I know about the center punch and drill but, being that the hole is so deep, maybe somebody has used a different method? It can't be in there that tight. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Some times you can take a small pick or screwdrive and catch a spot on the bolt and it will just spin out if it is loose. If it is tight then you will have to drill it out. Get a square ez out, I have no luck with spiral ones. Heat it a little too if you have to drill it out. Any time I loosen the little bolts and they seem tight I heat the area a little to get them to turn loose.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I haven't. Should I do that? I ordered a new bolt from the dealer so, I was going to wait until it came in before messing with it. I want to see how much actually broke off.

·
Registered
435 Posts
How long is the piece that broke off? Pulling the stator cover will probably be the best way to get to the bolt.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I said, waiting for the replacement bolt to come in to see how much broke off. I wasn't sure if you could get at it that way.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That happened to me about a month ago as I was tightening mine. Take the case cover(stator cover) off and you can remove it easily. I pulled/turned mine out by hand.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here's the pics.

Attachments

·
Truck Yea
5,652 Posts
1/4 ratchet and tighten it by hand. the spec is something like 7 ft-lbs..verylow.

Reactions: chronicsmoke

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
If you take the cover off that will probably be close to flush with the case or sticking out a little. Hold it up on the outside of the side cover and you can see how far in the case it goes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, that was alot easier than I was expecting. Pulled the cover off and it spun right out, using small needle nose. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, that was alot easier than I was expecting. Pulled the cover off and it spun right out, using small needle nose. Thanks again for the replies.
I had this same problem and got it fixed so easy... but there was a problem after.. once I put the case back on and piled everything up my quad doesn’t start up unless I bump start it. Any ideas on what that could be ??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts