Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going into this past weekend, I had a 2 point lead in our fall series MX series. In practice, I broke my axle right at the sproket. My practice is the second last practice in the practice session, so I didn't have time to get the stock one back in in time to race in the first moto. The guy who was 2 points behind me won the moto for 25 points, and the 2nd moto was rained out. With only 1 weekend to go, this kind of ruined my chances at the championship. After winning the spring series, I had hopes of sweeping the year.

My Fall series in a nutshell:

1 week before first race, took second gear out of the 450, and bent the shift shaft, couldn't get the shaft, so bike was not ready for first race, borrowed my friends 400EX, (stock suspension a-arms etc.DG slip on and K&N filter not a great MXer the way it is). I was able to pull off 2 second place finishes with it (managing to hold off the rest of the field including a YFZ 450, a couple other heavily modded 400EX's, a DS650 and raptor, and a z400, and some basically stock machines.)

going into the 2nd race, we were still waiting for parts, but bike was suppossed to be ready in time. Bike was finally together Friday afternoon about 3:00, and when the mechanic, went to take it for a test drive the bike would not come out of first gear. Again I borrowed my friends 400EX and headed for the track, with arrangements that if it was ready on Saturday, it would get delivered to my Hotel in time for the race. Saturday's race was rained out, (wasn't a points race anyways), bike was ready and brought up to me Saturday night in time for Sundays race. During practice bike quit on me and I couldn't figure out why it would not run. Raced my friends 400 and ended up with a third and a fourth, dropping me to 18 points behind the leader (who up to this point won all 4 motos)

Found out the problem with the bike, when the mechanic put the motor back in, he messed up the little plug that goes into the back of the coil. I changed the end and bike was running great.

3rd race, at a track I hadn't raced yet, in the first moto, the young fellow who had been doing all the winning up to date got a bad start and I was second, I just passed for the lead and on the next turn the guy I passed drove his right front up on top of my left rear, and it took quite a while to get them apart and the entire field got by. I was able to work my way up to third place, but the same fella won the moto again putting me 23 points behind. In the 2nd moto the guy who had been doing all the winning got the holeshot, and I was third, I got by the 2nd place and was chasing down the leader, when he went for a rather long double, and never made it, cased it and hurt himself, and DNFed the moto, I went on to win (25 points) which to my disbelief put me 2 points into the lead. Now the broken axle, so after my crappy season looking up, it looks like I am pretty much out of contention, unless he breaks or crashes again (I do not wish him to crash again, but if he broke again it wouldn't bother me LOL after all he is riding a Yamaha
:D :wacko: )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,846 Posts
good job man, nothing wrong with 2nd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by kazpr@Sep 21 2004, 10:46 AM
Dura Blue 2+ 2 eliminator axle taken from his Sig
Yup, right on, it is on it's way back to Durablue as we speak (type? LOL) The worst thing is the shipping and duties and customs, are going to run me just about as much as a new axle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,197 Posts
Originally posted by BingeNut+Sep 21 2004, 11:09 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-kazpr
@Sep 21 2004, 10:46 AM
Dura Blue 2+ 2 eliminator axle taken from his Sig
Yup, right on, it is on it's way back to Durablue as we speak (type? LOL) The worst thing is the shipping and duties and customs, are going to run me just about as much as a new axle
[/b]
go with an RPM... save yourself the trouble later.

get a replacment dura blue and sell it..

but for racing ... especially going for a championship... go with the RPM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by woodwardspecialties+Sep 21 2004, 11:33 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2004, 11:09 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-kazpr
@Sep 21 2004, 10:46 AM
Dura Blue 2+ 2 eliminator axle taken from his Sig

Yup, right on, it is on it's way back to Durablue as we speak (type? LOL) The worst thing is the shipping and duties and customs, are going to run me just about as much as a new axle
go with an RPM... save yourself the trouble later.

get a replacment dura blue and sell it..

but for racing ... especially going for a championship... go with the RPM. [/b]
Yes, get the RPM. You won't be dissappointed!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Well hey, I lost a championship up here already b/c of the pathetic steering stem. That's pretty much the final thing that made me say to get the thing out of my garage and an ATK. Was in 4th place in first moto due to horrible start b/c of bad gate pick and the steering stem bent down sending me over the bars and putting me on crutches for nearly 2 weeks. Now I'm over 40pts behind when I was only 6 b/c they give 40pts to first place, 35 to second, and so on. So now I have to go race this weekend and do good just to keep my 3rd place standing and it's the final race.

Good luck w/you though. Maybe the same will happen to the guys in front of you. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,877 Posts
Steering stem? So you were just riding along and suddenly the steering stem turned to jello causing a crash? -- if a crash didn't cause the bend, you apparently landed hard enough that something was going to give anyway.

I've landed hard enough to flatten handlebars to the tank - and when I did, my racing day was over at that point regardless of if I crashed or not. In all cases, I was thankful that whatever bent did bend and allowed that energy to be transferred to somewhere besides my hands/wrists/shoulders. Sounds like you were well on your way to a crash regardless if the stem bent or not.

FWIW, the 450R has the strongest steering stem out there with the exception of a Cannondale, with which it is very close. C-Dale stems will bend as well, so don't expect that your move to ATK-dale will save you in the case that you repeat the event that caused your 450R stem's demise.

Good luck on your ATK-dale, you'll need it & that's coming from a former enthusiast/owner..

Binge - do yourself a favor and sell that Durablue replacement you'll be getting on eBay --- get a Lonestar or RPM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
i dont want to sound like an a%%hole, but this is seriously 100% your fault. the very FIRST time i went to a motox track, the first practice were the pros, and on a very very weak whoop section of the track, one guy broke his dura blue axle, and the only thing i heard for the rest of the day was how durablue is the worst axle made. and its true, they are pathetic, i would MUCH rather run a stock axle then a dura blue, they are complete junk. get an rpm and never worrie about it again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by WhiteZee@Sep 22 2004, 09:33 PM
i dont want to sound like an a%%hole, but this is seriously 100% your fault.  the very FIRST time i went to a motox track, the first practice were the pros, and on a very very weak whoop section of the track, one guy broke his dura blue axle, and the only thing i heard for the rest of the day was how durablue is the worst axle made.  and its true, they are pathetic, i would MUCH rather run a stock axle then a dura blue, they are complete junk.  get an rpm and never worrie about it again.
Really
!! My fault
!! Wow
!! I didn't know that I was responsible for a product that I purchased, when I have used that same brand of product before with no problems
. Back when I got my 250R, 87 I think, as far as I can remember Durablue was the only way to go, and I never had a problem with it. Just for what it is worth, I have already made arrangements to get an RPM from Woodward Specialties, they are a sponsor here and so far the service has been great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by BingeNut+Sep 23 2004, 08:20 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-WhiteZee
@Sep 22 2004, 09:33 PM
i dont want to sound like an a%%hole, but this is seriously 100% your fault.  the very FIRST time i went to a motox track, the first practice were the pros, and on a very very weak whoop section of the track, one guy broke his dura blue axle, and the only thing i heard for the rest of the day was how durablue is the worst axle made.  and its true, they are pathetic, i would MUCH rather run a stock axle then a dura blue, they are complete junk.  get an rpm and never worrie about it again.
Really
!! My fault
!! Wow
!! I didn't know that I was responsible for a product that I purchased, when I have used that same brand of product before with no problems
. Back when I got my 250R, 87 I think, as far as I can remember Durablue was the only way to go, and I never had a problem with it. Just for what it is worth, I have already made arrangements to get an RPM from Woodward Specialties, they are a sponsor here and so far the service has been great. [/b]
Just for the record! B) I think it depends on who's the person. You know you can buy 3 alternator's and maybe one will work. I'm sure it's the same for axle's. Why am I saying this! <_< Because I have owned a Durablue axle X-33 for 2 years and I rode the quad like I stole it and I never had any problems. Some of my other friends bought the cheaper axle by durablue and they broke. So, it go's with a little bit of luck. I would think if you hit anything hard enough, it's going to brake!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,877 Posts
At the racetrack you see a lot of things --- one thing that is common, is to see broken Durablue axles.

There's a reason for that. In many cases it's because the clips they use to hold the sprocket side on are much larger than Stock, RPM, or Lonestar (note where Bingenut's broke) - this requires a larger groove in the axle and makes for a weak spot that is usually first to go in the event of a hard landing - I've even seen some go on not very hard landings. They also use a material that while very hard & resistant to flexing & bending, seems very brittle.

Most people that have been racing for very long have seen this happen enough times that they will not even consider a Durablue product. There is a difference between brands - some are far more likely to give you trouble than others.

How can Durablue keep selling axles? The same question has to be asked of how DG can still be selling crap products after all these years --- they buy a lot ads in a lot of magazines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Sep 23 2004, 10:35 AM
At the racetrack you see a lot of things --- one thing that is common, is to see broken Durablue axles.

There's a reason for that. In many cases it's because the clips they use to hold the sprocket side on are much larger than Stock, RPM, or Lonestar (note where Bingenut's broke) - this requires a larger groove in the axle and makes for a weak spot that is usually first to go in the event of a hard landing - I've even seen some go on not very hard landings. They also use a material that while very hard & resistant to flexing & bending, seems very brittle.

Most people that have been racing for very long have seen this happen enough times that they will not even consider a Durablue product. There is a difference between brands - some are far more likely to give you trouble than others.

How can Durablue keep selling axles?  The same question has to be asked of how DG can still be selling crap products after all these years --- they buy a lot ads in a lot of magazines.
Good point!! There's always new people coming into out sport and they are the one's buying these products even if there no good. Just like me. I didn't have any problems with my X-33.. but, I wil never buy one again because of the things I have read on here. That is one of the reasons I went to RPM!! Great axle!!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,775 Posts
Im glad this post came about, cuz, when i save the money i wanted to get a new axle, my stock one is slitghly bent... but i planned on gettin a durablue. I never heard anything bad about them till now, and this is gonna change wat ill be buying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,775 Posts
Well i was considering a durablue, before i eer heard of this, as u said its the new ppl to the sport that buy these things, well im not new to the sport, just to most of the aftermarket products, and i had figured a durablue must be better then stock, but now im thinking of siding with rpm or lonestar, im glad i found this out on hear rather then for my self.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by Trx450Ryan@Sep 23 2004, 10:49 AM
Well i was considering a durablue, before i eer heard of this, as u said its the new ppl to the sport that buy these things, well im not new to the sport, just to most of the aftermarket products, and i had figured a durablue must be better then stock, but now im thinking of siding with rpm or lonestar, im glad i found this out on hear rather then for my self.
That is the whole reason this site is here. So we can learn and maybe not waste our money. RPM or Longstar is the only way to go!!! :D
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top