Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well first off you might all think that i'm new here but really i'm not i'm on here every night but i just read what you guys have to say.

i have a 450r with a hrc kit, and i was driving along today in 3rd gear about half throttle and it quite, never really through about it so i kicked it over and it started on the first kick like allways but there was a really loud nosie beating around inside my engine so i shut it off just seconds after starting it, so i pushed it home and i took the valve cover off cause i wanted to see if everthing was inplace becasue i installed the hrc cam myself and every thing looks fine but the whole thing is covered in metal shavings :(

i did not want to tear it down myself, i figure if i take it too the dealer honda might cover it??? got the bike in april so it 4 1/2 months old. i installed the the hrc kit about 2 months ago.

what do you guys think happened??? i have no idea piston ring fall off maybe??? when i started the bike after it quite for the 2 seconds it was runnning it seem the to be running fine just rattling really bad.

i need some input holiday tomorrow so can't talk to the dealer until tuesday :wacko:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
my guess would be a bolt came off from the HRC kit you put in & went around inside their meaning bad news for you....same thing happened to another guy on exriders

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply but i don't think that is it becasue i took the valve cover off and everything is still good cam is not broke and the springs and still working, their is no bolts in the hrc kit so i don't know how one would get in!!
i guess i might have to go onto exriders and ask him just what really happened!!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
If there were lots of shavings in the top end, then the top end is likely where the problem occurred.

With that in mind --- There aren't many things to go wrong enough up there to cause mass quantities of shavings in a short period of time -- however, there are two allen bolts that secure the cam sprocket to the cam --- since you had those bolts out to install the HRC kit, that's where I'd put my money on the problem being.

If you installed the HRC kit yourself, you just got an expensive lesson. If someone else installed it for you, then you may be able to get them to cover the damage...

Unless a Honda dealership installed the kit - I wouldn't even bother asking them for a warranty repair if one of your sprocket bolts backed out...

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Sep 6 2004, 10:39 AM
If there were lots of shavings in the top end, then the top end is likely where the problem occurred.

With that in mind --- There aren't many things to go wrong enough up there to cause mass quantities of shavings in a short period of time -- however, there are two allen bolts that secure the cam sprocket to the cam --- since you had those bolts out to install the HRC kit, that's where I'd put my money on the problem being.

If you installed the HRC kit yourself, you just got an expensive lesson. If someone else installed it for you, then you may be able to get them to cover the damage...

Unless a Honda dealership installed the kit  - I wouldn't even bother asking them for a warranty repair if one of your sprocket bolts backed out...
yep...this dude knows what hes talking about...i wouldnt bother taking it to Honda b/c you cant really expect them to cover your mistake?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's not my problem, i have checked them twice now just to be sure the two bolts that hold the sprocket to the cam are fine. i really think that one of my rings broke, well i might get to find out tomorrow taking it to the dealer tomorrom but i don't know if he will have time to look at it.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
What makes you think you broke a ring?

Rings don't just break in 4 strokes.

Besides -- if a ring had broken the engine would have lost compression and simply died & not restarted.

Rings also don't put loads of shavings in the top end. If there are loads of shavings in the top end, then loads of shavings came from the top end - you just have to figure out from where & why - shouldn't be too difficult, look first at things you touched when you installed the HRC kit.....

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Keep us posted man :(

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replys, i looked at the cam twice now so i really don't think it was off track or anything, but you are right about the shims the are hard to get right but they are in the right place so that's not the problem, ohh well i will keep you guys posted, i'm taking the bike back to the dealer tonight, but no work is going to be done to it. (no tech's work their at night)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i took the bike to the dealer last night the manager(owner) never really said all that much, but he was quite busy. He said they won't get a chance to tear it down until tomorrow or friday.

been thinkin maybe a little port work would be nice since the motor is apart, but i have to wait and see how much that bike is gonna cost before i do that. anyone have their bike ported yet? was it worth the money

·
Registered
133 Posts
if you want your head ported send it to Tom over at TC RACING he is building the fastest and most reliable motors out there, Tom did mine and i held up excellent all season. if you want your head ported you have to remove your valves and guides, that is something that will cost extra, but ery easy to do yourself. Myguess is that you did not apply ample oil to your cam before reinstaling the cover, this ment when the bike was first started, metal on metal friction Then you started to fry your parts. I always use a bit of assembly lube on the tips of my lobes, as well as the inner race of the the bearings,and i still use gobbs of oil all over everything, if you're not making a mess, you're not using enough, that's the way i look at it. Ya keep us posted, and send your motor to TC.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well called the dealer tonight just before it closed they just put my motor on the bench, and have not got it apart yet
o well i don't work tomorrow so i'm going to go to the dealership and watch them take it apart. that way i will have a birds eye view of what went wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Originally posted by dobson@Sep 10 2004, 02:34 PM
well called the dealer tonight just before it closed they just put my motor on the bench, and have not got it apart yet
o well i don't work tomorrow so i'm going to go to the dealership and watch them take it apart. that way i will have a birds eye view of what went wrong with it.
i will be very surprised if they let you do this

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i ended up not going to the dealer ship today but i just got off the phone with a owner and he said my problem had something to do with the crank, they never got the case split yet so they not sure exactly happened, but he said honda should be good for this one can't see me having to pay a thing :D he said it does not matter that i had the hrc kit installed

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i was talkin to the dealer again last night and i guess the crank bearing was melted, so that not too bad

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by dobson@Sep 12 2004, 08:07 AM
well i was talkin to the dealer again last night and i guess the crank bearing was melted, so that not too bad
how the heck did it melt? :huh:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts