Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine and I went to a local golf course that is closed down. Not a bad ride, but the tall grass bedded down became very slippery. He and I took off, him on a yfz me on a 450r, hit a small jump and headed towards a long straight away. Got the bike about tapped in 4th when he (in front of me, maybe 25') decides to 180 the bike and point it in my direction, I see this and lock up the breaks an vere of to the right a bit. When he 180'd the bike he had the clutch pulled and the bike was sliding backwards, he sees me coming at him, pops the clutch to try and get out of the way, but insteads catapults his bike in my lane. He flips and is lying on the other side of his bike from me. So here I am 4th tapped with my buddy laying on the ground 20' in front of me and I'm basically on Ice. The YFZ was on it's side with the belly looking at me, I hit it (hard) flew over my bike, the YFZ, and my buddy and smashed into the ground. Get up and hear my buddy saying his leg was broke. It was, but he also dislocated his ankle. he's going into surgery in about an 1hr and is laid up for at least 3 weeks. Hopefully he keeps his house and his job. He'll probably have the cats on for 6 months they say. I got a small bruise and some bike damage, the YFZ had none. Could have been alot worse. I'm not a pro rider, but I have been riding for a long long time (22years, since I was 6) and I'd never have thought soemthing so stupid could happen, but it did.

Just a reminder to stay alert and ride smart!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Man, that sucks, your are lucky that you didn't get hurt also. How in the hell do you pull a 180 going 4th gear pinned, he was lucky he didn't hurt himself worse just doing that. 4th pinned must be at least 50 MPH. Good to hear you are OK, and wish your buddy a quick heel time.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
HOLY ... poop! Haha, yes I typed poop ...

You are both very lucky that you are even alive at those speeds with 350+ pound machine flying around! I wish your friend and your quad a speedy recovery :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, we had the bikes 4th geared pinned, but I'm sure he braked a bit before the turn (couldn't tell cus he doesn't have a brake light). It was actually kind of fun, the terrain on a golf course is very smooth and we were doing 180 and 360's all day in 3rd. I wouldn't try these anywhere else cus if you hit the slightest bump, your done. What my buddy was doing here was turning around (fast) to head back to the jump - I think. He must not have realized I was there, or just plain old messed up when he went to take off again. We're used to racing and pushing the envelope as much as we can, i guess maybe we weren't used to wide open terrain and forgot the dangers that it can possess. We're used to the dangers of a tight race track, sounds stupid, but I thing it means something. Pretty much sucks either way cus he was my main racing bud.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Glad to hear you both are going to be ok, all things considered. Hopefully your freind keeps his house & job and is a little more careful next time he wants to pull a stunt like that. :huh:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
sorry to hear that bro. 180's and 360's eh? sounds killer fun lol. get that bike of yours fixed and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
All I can say is, I'm very sorry you lost a riding buddy for 6 months. There's always a leason to be learned. I hope to God this doesn't happen to anyone else and you guys can ride with this never happening again. Always wear gear, wrecks always happen when you least expect it. Be safe and take care pbell75. Hope your friend has a speedy recovery! :)

Rico

1 - 7 of 7 Posts