Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the break in period is for the 450r. and how many tanks of gas to run through it?? thanks in advance .

·
Registered
733 Posts
fender,
i'm too lazy to go get the manual right now and find the official honda answer and i'm not sure it's in there anyway, but i am a firm believer in this...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

like the top of the article says, it's a controversial topic. however, what this article says makes sense to me and this is how i broke in my 450r. by the way, i have read several threads here where people are asking why their 450r is going through/burning oil. mine has never lost a drop so far as i can tell since day one. this is only my opinion. i'm sure there are several more around here somewhere. hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by RedDogg@Jun 24 2004, 07:30 PM
fender,
i'm too lazy to go get the manual right now and find the official honda answer and i'm not sure it's in there anyway, but i am a firm believer in this...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

like the top of the article says, it's a controversial topic.  however, what this article says makes sense to me and this is how i broke in my 450r.  by the way, i have read several threads here where people are asking why their 450r is going through/burning oil.  mine has never lost a drop so far as i can tell since day one.  this is only my opinion.  i'm sure there are several more around here somewhere.  hope this helps.
I followed the same thing RedDogg and I believe that is part of the reason I haven't been buring oil either. It makes sense and I simply do not see the logic (mechanically) in taking it easy on the engine....

·
Registered
733 Posts
who the h3!! can wait to get on it anyway?!?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Patients by friends is what it takes. Of course, I rode mine easy for 6 different rides, turning the engine off and letting it cool all the way down till cold and only riding it for 20 to 30 minutes each time. And never staying at the same speed at any given moment. My bike does not burn oil either. But, that is just my way of braking in an engine. B)
And it runs like a stripped @ss ape! :lol:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
allright , thanks for the info guys
:D

·
Registered
150 Posts
I followed the same thing RedDogg and I believe that is part of the reason I haven't been buring oil either. It makes sense and I simply do not see the logic (mechanically) in taking it easy on the engine.... [/QUOTE]

Nope.. I didnt follow the intsructions per say, but i am a firm beleiver that you break in your engine the same way your going to ride it later. I did 5 heat cycles that used up about the first tank of gas. I rode it hard not keeping a steady rev or letting it idle too long, Never kept her pinned for the first couple of rides, pretty much did what this guy is saying in the article. I burn a small amout of oil still. No big deal....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts