Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys ill apoligize first ive been on a org for about a week now and asked to many newb questions its just my first NEW atv so im just making sure of stuff..... but anyway so ive got a 2008 450r e-start compleatly stock (for now) it seems to have sorta a knocking noise in the engine idk how to really exsplain it. Besides it kinda a ticking noise or a knock. Is this normal for the 08's its only got about a half tank of gas ran through it so far and its done it since i bought it. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
is it just at idle?... I have the same thing and the service guys at the dealer told me it was the decomp arm moving back and forth at idle since there is no adjustment to it... I just swapped out my cam last week and everything looked good inside and still does it with valves in spec and a fresh oil change... I would just keep an ear to it and make sure it doesn't get any worse... Someone else may know something more and chime in though and educate both of us

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
these motors on the 450r are just loud they all sound like they have a knocking nosie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you, mine does the same thing and i'm on my second tank. I think its normal, gonna ask them when i take it in for the first service though.

·
Black 450
858 Posts
and another newb question to the list

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would say its just at idle but the engine is just all out loud revving it and riding it i mean ive only ever rode 2 other 450r's and that been a real good while ago but from what i remember the power is still the same. it just scares me cause the bike is new havent even made a payment yet and i dont want something to be messed up

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
they all gotta start some were if u dont know something ask the only stupid ? is the one u dont ask.

·
Registered
250 Posts
When i got my 07 two years ago i came here and asked the same question and everyone told me its just how the 450r sounds. I've done regular maintence and oil changes and have about 20 hours on it now and still no problems. So i'd assume its just how it sounds. Mine still sounds the same.

·
Black 450
858 Posts
better to ask newb Qs then to do stupid things, im just razzin ya

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
exactly so far the org is one of the only forums that not all i hear is people ripping on other just to make their head bigger and thats why i like it people share their knowledge to help not to put everyone else down. thank you all for the answers

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
ya i know tank i was just letting all the nb that they can ask any Q they have and some one on here well help them and give them a little crap at the same time.

welcome to the org yal

·
Registered
192 Posts
i have not heard any abnormal noises come from the engine on mine, and it too is an 08 leftover. only put 1.5 tanks through it so far. had the chain get really loud but that was cause i failed to properly lubricate it. but that's fine now

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ride it like you stole it! If there is a problem with it you will see it in the oil filter. On your first oil change check you filter for a significant amount of metal shavings. If there isn't any, everything is normal.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Think about it this way guys. You are maybe used to listening to a motor in a car run right? Everybody knows what they sound like, at most you hear the fan or the belts or maybe a little lifter tick or something like that, relatively quiet. A normal engine has more pistons moving so you would think you would hear more noise right? Well, a normal engine also has a LOT more structure to it and that structure insulates most of the engine noises. These 450r engines are made to be as light as possible with no more material than what is needed to make them work reliably. Having less 'insulation' there lets a lot more noise out. This is how I think about it anyway, wether its really true or not...? Keeps me from losing sleep at night. ;)

It will also be even louder once you start making some improvements to it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If the noise is simmilar (not exactly the same) as a valve tic in a car while the quad is at idle then it is normal. Anything louder than that and if it carries through mid and high range and like jdiner1 said when you do your first oil change you will see shavings if something is wrong. Check on recals for the 08 ER to there should be a single punch mark in front of the first digit your serial number directly behind your front bumper. Mine has been done but I only know that becuause they told me when I bought it. If yours is a leftover then they should have done it at the dealership when the recall came out I am pretty sure it was a decomp. pin issue. If there is not a punch mark that you can see call the dealership and ask them. If it has not been done then they should do it for free!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have the same noise in my 08 that I bought this december. Its normal I heard it in my 06 race bike and now in my 08. In my 06 I had to adjust the cam chain tensioner because the chain had some slop in it after a rebuild. My 08 got louder after the recall was done on it. The way I see it, is if that noise goes away something is about to let go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New 450r member, first post, great forum guys!
I just sold my 08 700XX and picked up a new 09 450ER. Picking it up from the dealer, while they were going over their demo checklist, the dude was choking, pressing the start button, thumbing the throttle, and was totally out of sync getting it to fire up. It seemed like it was having a hard time getting going, but finally fired up. I too thought it was a noisy engine. After getting it home and reading the manual, I read that due to the "accelerator pump" there is no need to open the throttle when starting, in fact they say NOT TO and it "may" cause damage if you hold the throttle on starting. So then my fear that the noise was damage played on my mind all night, until coming on here and searching for "new 450r noise" and finding this thread. I will say that I warmed it up a bit and watched the oil flow in the small glass window and it looked clean, so I am going to assume that this is in fact just a normal noisy engine sound. I guess they call them "thumpers" for a reason. I would like to add that my 700XX was not this loud though, but made a similar noise at idle that always had me wondering about it. Having put on more than 30 hours on it and it never changed, I never paid any more attention to it. Thanks for the answers without me having to ask the questions!

·
Registered
147 Posts
They make all kinds of crazy rattling and ticking noises if your only used to listening to car engines. If something's wrong inside you'll know pretty quick.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts