Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 Honda 450r that was just rebuilt with a new decked head and brand new valves with a stock cam. we put a new wiseco high comp 11.5:1 piston and full white bros exhaust. it starts first kick and idles perfectly fine but when u start riding and give it throttle it floods itself out but it isnt running rich the plug is perfect. any tips? I was thinking about just buying an FCR carb but wanted to see if its just a simple fix.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm confused, if it's "flooding It's Self Out" but not running rich? Sounds to me that it might be to rich now that you upped your compression. Did you mess with jetting by chance? I ask this because a lot of peple think High Compression needs more fuel which is not true, higher compression does not mean richer jetting, in most cases higher Compressin requires a litle leaner jetting because you're decresing the combustion chamber volume. I seen guys go to 13:1 and then throw a huge a$$ jet in there then it won't run for crap. In your case with 11.5:1 Compression with a Decked head could put you easily in 12:1 or even 12.5:1 raitio for all you know (This is just all depending on how much was decked off the head".

What I would also check is if your Accelarator pump is working or not. Pull the Air Box and have someone quickly press the throttle a couple of times to make sure that the Accelrator Pump is squirting when pressing the throttle.

Another thing I would check.... Make sure the 2 screws in the top of the Carburetor Slide did not come loose as I have seen it many times in the 300ex, 400ex and the 04/05 TRX450R's. When that happens it starts perfect idles and will rev till about 1200 RPMS then chokes out and won't run for crap. I would pull the Fuel Tank, then pull the 3 screws off the top of the carburetor and check the Needle Slide to make sure the screws are still in place. Usually if they fall out they just stay in there they won;t suck into the engine or anything.

Also make sure that the Black/Yellow wire is pluged into the Coil Correctly, I have also seen guys having misfiring issues etc from work they did and they missed the prong on the Coil and the Coil wire was only holding on and making Contact due to the Rubber Sleeve around it "clamping" it against the plug prong and when any vibration would happen it would missfire and make it go super rich.

If you go with an FCR carburetor they are a very good upgrade, just make sure that you buy a Air Box Adaptor and the Throttle Cable for a 06+ TRX450ER to make it work.. I found that the Best Carburetor to use is the 07 CRF250R Carb because it's a 41mm Carburetor from Factory and flows more then enough air

Arizona Quad parts sells a nice Billet Rings "FCR Carb Adaptor" for about 65 Bucks

The Cable you can get online just look for 06" trx450ER Throttle Cable.

FCR carb just find one for a 07 CRF250R (yes I said the 250 that wasn't a Typo) I say that because they're already 41mm, the Accelerator pump screw faces back so it's easy to adjust and it clears the Fuel Tank.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
721 Posts
Lbetz did you try out what Ryan94wright recommended? Sound advice from a fellow “community” member. It’s been a while do checking in. Hope you’re riding. If so send pics.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
721 Posts
Just realized ryan94wright, you’ve been on this site for along time too. Not as long as some 😆, but still. How many quads have you gone thru in the last 7 or 8 years? All Hondas? Send some pics if possible.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just realized ryan94wright, you’ve been on this site for along time too. Not as long as some 😆, but still. How many quads have you gone thru in the last 7 or 8 years? All Hondas? Send some pics if possible.
And your pretty knowledgeable m, are you a mechanic? What you riding? Sand pics, I think you already have I forget.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts