Honda TRX 450R banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well if their still friends that tells you something, the 400 ER's or EX's require much less maintenance and upkeep than the 450 R's.
Sorry, when I say er I mean 450er not 400ex, I have a 400ex now and love it, I change the oil every couple dune trips and put gas in it and it runs forever, I just wish I had a little more power at the dunes sometimes

·
Registered
26 Posts
If your looking for a no worry quad it doesn’t exist. But the 400ex is a better more reliable bet. Plus parts are about half what the 450s cost.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Bone stock i feel the 04/05 is more reliable, if its still on the stock crank then its a good one and not one of the problem cranks, if its been replaced then its upgraded already. The 04 piston has longer skirts and will wear less then the 06 will and it has a 4 dog transmission not a 3 dog, the front spindles are supposed to be better but i couldn't tell.

The 06 has a fcr carb, more compression, lighter piston, shorter stroke and larger bore, all aid in making a little more power and a quicker feeling engine. In stock form the tranny should never be a problem, the transmission issues are exaggerated by more power. It also has a battery and starter to maintain as well as Ti valves that dont last as long

Both are good solid quads and should give you years of trouble free fun in stock form, but as Hoser said you neved know when as something will fail, but if you start doing mild upgrades the 06 will give you more bang for your buck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Bone stock i feel the 04/05 is more reliable, if its still on the stock crank then its a good one and not one of the problem cranks, if its been replaced then its upgraded already. The 04 piston has longer skirts and will wear less then the 06 will and it has a 4 dog transmission not a 3 dog, the front spindles are supposed to be better but i couldn't tell.

The 06 has a fcr carb, more compression, lighter piston, shorter stroke and larger bore, all aid in making a little more power and a quicker feeling engine. In stock form the tranny should never be a problem, the transmission issues are exaggerated by more power. It also has a battery and starter to maintain as well as Ti valves that dont last as long

Both are good solid quads and should give you years of trouble free fun in stock form, but as Hoser said you neved know when as something will fail, but if you start doing mild upgrades the 06 will give you more bang for your buck
So my understanding from what you said is that on an 04/05 it was just hit or miss weather you got a bad crank or not? And if I buy one that's got a few hours on it then it should be fine and the crank shouldn't go out prematurely? And if the crank was gonna go out prematurely would it go out when it was low hours? There are tons of 04/05 for sale near me, there are lots of really nice looking ones, and a few that have been fully rebuilt but have hotrod cranks instead of OEM, is that nessasarly a bad thing, and what do you think about buying someone's at home rebuild vs one that got done at a shop/dealer?

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Lots of tricky questions in there. The word "should" is always a big factor
I have two 04's still on stock cranks, one makes 63hp the other makes 58, they do t get ridden much anymore but till i went sxs they put in a lot of work
Most of the crank failures happened quick, which is why it made such a bad reputation for the 04/05 after that as stated anything can and will fail, just when is the question
Shop mechanic or home mechanic?? Depends on the shop and the home mechanics, there have been plenty of members on here who i would trust, guys like hoser, king370, zipstrx, ticeman, ghott i would trust there are others i wouldnt trust to change my oil. Shops like RE, OCP, Dynamite, rage, morgan i would trust more than any dealership a bad reputation can really hurt a speed shop just like a few bad cranks hurt the reputation of the 04/05 for 15 years

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Lots of tricky questions in there. The word "should" is always a big factor
I have two 04's still on stock cranks, one makes 63hp the other makes 58, they do t get ridden much anymore but till i went sxs they put in a lot of work
Most of the crank failures happened quick, which is why it made such a bad reputation for the 04/05 after that as stated anything can and will fail, just when is the question
Shop mechanic or home mechanic?? Depends on the shop and the home mechanics, there have been plenty of members on here who i would trust, guys like hoser, king370, zipstrx, ticeman, ghott i would trust there are others i wouldnt trust to change my oil. Shops like RE, OCP, Dynamite, rage, morgan i would trust more than any dealership a bad reputation can really hurt a speed shop just like a few bad cranks hurt the reputation of the 04/05 for 15 years
Thank you, that really clears it up, I know that the crank could go out in any 4 wheeler at any time no matter how old, but now I know that the crank issue was a hit or miss kind of thing and mostly happend at low hours then I feel like I can buy a decent one and i shouldn't have to worry about it.

Also, what do you think of hotrod cranks?

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Sorry, i havent been on in a while
The cranks are good as long as OEM beari gs were used. The rod is better then the OEM rod
The HR stroker cranks aren't bad if you have them balanced and you dd a little power and torque cheaper then having your stock crank reworked
Would i buy a stock stroke hot rod crank? No, i trust a new OEM more and the cost is about the same

As far as a stroker goes?? Thats a tough call. I wouldn't mind a balanced HR stroker that makes piston replacement easy, but for about $500 more i can have a stock crank stroked 4.2mm run a carillo rod with a 19mm pin and use a crf piston but now you have to deck the head and degree the cam, and if im going that far i might as well buy a better cylinder and build a 100-102 bore, but then ill need a bigger carb to feed it, now with that extra power i will need a longer swingarm and have my shock revalved. Thats a lot of money to make my quad about 5 lengths faster, plus im a fatasss so ill have to let some skinny kid race it. This is what goes through my head every time i start wanting more so i end up with a fresh top end and a good ru ning 480

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So for sale near me is an 04 in decent shape with a full motor rebuild with a few hours on it, but it has a hotrod crank and he rebuilt it himself, should I be worried about this, is it a good deal. $3900

4000 is the average price for a decent not rebuilt stock 04 or 05 in my area in Oregon

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Anything else done to it? Like suspension?
Would he be willing to take it to OCP and ha e it checked out at your expense?
Do you get a good vib from the guy?

What part of Oregon are you in? Im north of Sacramento and will be selling mine soon, houser +2 arms, GTT shocks and link, quadtec seat, rossier exhaust, RPM porting, 43mm fcr, dasa intake, kibblewhite valves and springs, g force axle, 6 paddle skats, tag bars, trail tech clamp, $4500 chrome on the axel is shit though
Lol, i had to try a sales pitch

21 - 30 of 30 Posts