Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so far ive got exhaust, a k&n filter, and ive got a dial a jet on the way ... what are the best things to get that give noticable power without goin internal like pistons or cams ....... rev box? the scaryfast powernow? anything like that .... i want it to be alot quicker than a stock one but not ready for inside the engine stuff yet ... i know you guys know more about makin them fast than me , ive always had a dirt bike so those are usually fast as is, so i never done much to em lol

·
Registered
425 Posts
There is a green wire mod you can do, Cost nothing. Just the time to do it. Its not neccisarily a power increase, but it gives you 1000 more rpm.. If you want to read more about it. There is a thread under engine part of the forums. I believe it even gives you step by step pictures.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Going inside the motor is a lot easier than you think. You just have to look at everything as sections, each different mechanism has its own group of parts. I'm sure if you had an owner's manual you could dig into the top end. Don't let complexity get in your way of having a nice bike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how about hotcams ... would that be somethin pretty easy to put in ... i mean i work on stuff alot im pretty good at it i suppose just figure that kinda work was a little rough

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yea, Im pretty sure it works. And like Missile says, There is parts of the motor that you could do yourself, especially when you have a forum such as this one with all the people that would help ya with any questions you may have.

·
sb/ss pump gas kickin ass
3,213 Posts
so far ive got exhaust, a k&n filter, and ive got a dial a jet on the way ... what are the best things to get that give noticable power without goin internal like pistons or cams ....... rev box? the scaryfast powernow? anything like that .... i want it to be alot quicker than a stock one but not ready for inside the engine stuff yet ... i know you guys know more about makin them fast than me , ive always had a dirt bike so those are usually fast as is, so i never done much to em lol
the stock rev box is great in the ER models and its a big waste of money IMO to get a different one. i've also noticed lots of people having problems with them. skip the scayfast crap. sounds like a load of bull to me. it looks like it woulld mess with your air flow too much and require massive rejetting.

the best thing you can do is have the HRC kit put in. its a night and day difference with stock. it does come with a cam but it helps so much that you should look into it. it does not lose a bit of reliability either.

if you don't want the kit i would recommend the "green wire mod" and the "uncorking your 450R on a budget" section. hope this helps!

·
Registered
310 Posts
What you do is get ziplock bags and a sharpy, and mark down sections of bolts that come off each case so you don't mix them all up. Just keep everything sectioned off. Once you get inside the motor there isn't very many bolts at all, except for bearing retaining plates. The camshaft is a pretty quick and easy swap. Funny because the valve train is probably the most complex mechanism of the whole motor.

Reactions: highpsi4224

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
ditch the dial-a-jet.
no power now junk.
no point in changing the rev limit till you have a cam.

after uncorking the exhaust, removing the airbox lid, and rejeting your not going to make more power without getting into the motor.

what exhaust do you have? full system or slipon?

if you dont have a good full system the hrc kit will be the most bang for the buck.
if you have a good full exhaust then you can get a cam and do the other free mods

·
Registered
310 Posts
Has anyone actually tried the dial-a-jet thing? Curious as to how it works. Or doesn't.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I tried the dial a jet on my 400ex and what it does is fine tune your jets. Say a 148 is to lean and a 150 is to rich you can fine tune it with a dial a jet.

·
Fairly fast foreigner!
3,584 Posts
Like Hawk and Big Country said.....HRC kit, no gimicks / frills...just proven to work...and all the parts work together which is just as important...best $330 you'll spend (even less than that if you already got full pipe.) Just remember to get the correct year (you've got a different decomp assy 08+).

Site sponsors, Woodward and Honda Powersport Parts have them...

·
Registered
118 Posts
HRC Kit, all honda parts, do it now!!!!!

Best $330 ever spent

·
450R XC Rider
2,793 Posts
What kind of exhaust are you running now? Is it a full or slip-on? A slip-on is a great compliment to the HRC kit. If you already have a full system, even better.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
ditch the dial-a-jet.
no power now junk.
no point in changing the rev limit till you have a cam.

after uncorking the exhaust, removing the airbox lid, and rejeting your not going to make more power without getting into the motor.

what exhaust do you have? full system or slipon?

if you dont have a good full system the hrc kit will be the most bang for the buck.
if you have a good full exhaust then you can get a cam and do the other free mods

^^x2....I agree with everything Todd has mentioned....and will add one more thing you will need to learn before anything else.....

Before taking just anyone's advice....learn who the members are that you should listen to.
Without mentioning any names,there are a few on here that don't even know what they are doing to their own machines and will more than likely only give you bad/wrong info....and since that can end up costing you $$$....it is important that you choose wisely.

Good luck

·
450R XC Rider
2,793 Posts
Before taking just anyone's advice....learn who the members are that you should listen to.
^ X2. That really applies to any forums but especially when you are talking about spending some real cash on something or something that requires experience and knowledge. Such as engines. You will see some members on here that have absolutely no idea about stuff, such as jetting, and will post a suggestion just to post. Watch for those and remember those names.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts