Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hows it going everyone? Im new here and just purchased a new TRX, I already have a mostly drag set up YFZ 470 and am looking to give my TRX some more ponnies. I already have an exhaust and intake but am now looking for the best top end cam for drag racing. I already read all 5 pages of the cams discussion but didn't see a real clear cut winner. What is the most agressive cam made and what ignitions are you guys running?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
the best top end cam is the hrc. ive heard it revs out really nice oand hit the over revs faster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went to ESR today and talked to Robert about thier cam and he said it was more agressive then the HRC. Anyone know otherwise?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
it could be true
esr is a good brand yet expensive
i would believe it

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Domination@Aug 20 2004, 08:35 PM
Anyone know the specs on the new Sparks "Agressive" cam???
I have the sparks agressive cam and I would'nt trade it for the world. I highly recommend the sparks. Sparks Racing has long been the leader in Honda drag racing. His parts are designed for that type of racing, In a way that is.

Just for your input, I had the stock non HRC cam in my bike before I put the Sparks in. And in drag racing I had better times with the stock cam versus people with the HRC kit. with stock cam, Sparks jet kit, Sparks air filter. and HRC end cap on the stock exhaust I was pulling 8.4 sec at 70mph, while someone with the HRC kit, cam and all, was pulling at best 8.9. at 70mph. I think it takes to long for the RPM's to get up with the HRC cam, and by the time the HRC bike gets going, me and my bike where already gone.

Could have been rider advantage though.

with the HRC cam although you have like 6+ horsepower more above 6000 rpms, below 6000 rpms your like -4 horsepower. ....I think its a situation where you need to learn how to ride the bike maybe...cause it really does not make since....as long as you can keep the rpm's above 6000 rpms your ok...but if you shift to soon and fall below 6000 rpms your loosing your a$$...hope this helps. B)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hey lude,

I was thinking about getting the Sparks cam, but i use my 450r for recreational use and to make banshees eat my roost on weekends. What I like about 4-strokes is the bottom end and I was wondering if i was going to loose that with the Sparks cam.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I spoke to Robert at ESR about a cam for my 450r he said they were using Hot Cams. ESR did a port and polish on my head but went with a Sparks aggressive cam, I have not ridden it yet - Labor day at Pismo will be first outting on bike since buying it in June.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys, so the bottom line is if you can keep the rpm's over 6,000 when draging the HRC cam is the way to go. Now if you drop below 6,000 your in major trouble. So the sparks cam is a better all around cam but as far as all out dragging the HRC cam is still the one to beat? Anyone try Web Cams on a TRX?

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Megacycle has a topend cam that is bigger that the hrc, but like Lude said you have to keep the rpms around 6000 rpms or higher on these cams and the rev limiter stops you at 9800 rpms. I have a vortex cdi on its way right now, it has 10 different ignition settings and a 11,500 rpm rev limiter. Desert_450r and I should also be testing another rev limiter soon so stay tuned for the results. BTW, if your a drag racer you might want to get yourself a lightened flywheel so it can rev out quicker, they should be available soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by lukester720@Aug 23 2004, 01:13 AM
Megacycle has a topend cam that is bigger that the hrc, but like Lude said you have to keep the rpms around 6000 rpms or higher on these cams and the rev limiter stops you at 9800 rpms. I have a vortex cdi on its way right now, it has 10 different ignition settings and a 11,500 rpm rev limiter. Desert_450r and I should also be testing another rev limiter soon so stay tuned for the results. BTW, if your a drag racer you might want to get yourself a lightened flywheel so it can rev out quicker, they should be available soon.
More good info, I will look into the megacycle cam. New ignation and flywheel are already on its way B)

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Hey domination where are you getting your flywheel and what size are you getting? I would like a -5oz if I can. Also how much if you don't mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am geting my flywheel and CDI as a kit from MAD Racing. Sparks sells the kit but Mark at MAD racing can give you a little better deal, the Retail on it is like 800 + tax :ph34r: ...

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Can you get just the flywheel? If so do you know what it would cost? I know other companies sell the for about 120 bucks but they're not available yet. BTW if so what is a number or website to reach them.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Can you get just the flywheel? If so do you know what it would cost? I know other companies sell the for about 120 bucks but they're not available yet. BTW if so what is a number or website to reach them.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by UFOmile450r@Aug 21 2004, 12:29 PM
Hey lude,

I was thinking about getting the Sparks cam, but i use my 450r for recreational use and to make banshees eat my roost on weekends. What I like about 4-strokes is the bottom end and I was wondering if i was going to loose that with the Sparks cam.
It felt to me like a gained alot on bottom, mid and top, But judging by the size of the cam some will tell you its only a top end cam. I think in a perfect world they are right...but this is far from a perfect world...I ride in the trails/woods, with my kids and its perfect....just ate a banshee yesterday on it....

it was funny to because at the end of the street we where racing on, there is a sharp right turn, and if you dont turn you eat a fence and all kinds off trees....
Well we took off, I beat him to the point we had to lock them up or hit the fence....well I stop but the Banshee couldnt....he slid sideways and hit the curb with his back wheel. That made the banshee bounce sideways and it started spinning 360's....he flew off and landed on his tail bone...Ouch....he was ok though, but he bent that crap out of the wheel tha hit the curb

I beat him there, and then stopped faster too....it was kind of funny cause he was sure his banshee could beat me with no problem...at least that was what his dad told him... :lol:

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I called sparks today and they said they didn't. I also called trailtech and they have their final design completed but will be on backorder for 3 to 4 weeks, I put my order in for one today.

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
both hot cams offerings are milder than any of the oem crf cams. sparks aggressive drop in and the hrc are nearly identical and both are much more potent than hot cams. the hrc is cheaper........mixxer

·
Registered
430 Posts
thanks lude

i always like to have a third party opinion. oh, and i hope the guy with the banshee learned his lesson. like i always say; if you dont ride red, youre in the blues

1 - 20 of 33 Posts