Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the cam thread, the Honda 2004-2005 HRC Cam looks the most aggressive followed by the Honda 2002 & 2003 CRF Cam... What would be the best cam to use in my '06 TRX450ER if I've already purchased the HRC head pipe, jet kit and intake? I pretty much just need a cam and I'd have basically the complete HRC kit.. though I'm a little distraught to what cam to purchase... Looks to me that the Honda 2006-2007 TRX HRC cam is exactly the same specs as the 2004 - 2006 CRF 450 cam... I've looked into the stage 2 hot cam, however I'd like to keep everything potentially honda. Any suggestions what would work best and give me optimal all around power.. I'm in the process of building a mx quad. Thanks

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
what type of riding do you do? that will help in what direction you go.

Hotcam stage2 is a popular one and verry well priced.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have the '02 CRF cam in my '07 and it rips bottom to top. No lag in power anywhere and revs quickly.

I had a HC2 in my '05 and felt it to be a little weak on bottom. However, that's a different motor with less compression.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the '02 CRF cam in my '07 and it rips bottom to top. No lag in power anywhere and revs quickly.

I had a HC2 in my '05 and felt it to be a little weak on bottom. However, that's a different motor with less compression.[/b]
Good to know... looks like I'll be on the hunt for a '06 CRF cam.. thats the last piece I need and I'll have all the parts.. Just scored a sweet deal on a 06-07 HRC kit minus the cam for $50 the other day...

oh... did I mention... I FLIPPIN LOVE THE 450R... the think riiiiiiiips. Road my 400EX last night for a while and thought...boring after being on the R... Sold my Raptor 700R for the 450R, was a little sad at first, but after riding the R on the track a few times, I should have boughten a 450R years ago.. Absolutely love the bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was talking about the 06+ HRC (CRF Cam) the 04-05 is more of a top end biased cam.[/b]
I found a potential '06 cam... Is there any way I can physically look on the actual cam itself to tell if its a "2006" CRF450R cam? Any unique markings or stamping? 14110-MEN-670 stamp? or something?

·
Registered
889 Posts
i've recently installed a HRC cam on my 06 to check it out. i felt less power with it and put back my hot cam st2 but thats me tho. Maybe im wrong... Also i been wondering i have a friend thats a AMA pro rider and he might switch his yammi to honda and might get a free Honda CRF450 09 ( thats what he said) and i asked him if he takes off the cam if i can get it and he said sure. I wonder if the 09 CRF Cam will work on my 06 ER? any 1?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NEED HELP NOW When I first got my bike (2006 TRXER) I was told it was stock... So obviously I want to put a HRC kit on it right away. I find a decent deal on ebay selling the complete HRC kit minus the camshaft... I finally receive the HRC package in the mail and open it up, start going through some of the parts and start thinking "wait a minute, looks like my quad already has some of these items on it already." I go outside and begin tearing the bike down... come to figure out, I already have the HRC baffle, header, T fitting, Intake plug etc.. on my bike...

Hmmm, so I remove the carb.. Without pulling out the needle or touching anything else, I notice that theres already a #185 main jet. I remove the valve cover and start looking at the camshaft...

NOW HERES MY PROBLEM, I have a 2006 camshaft in route as I speak originally thinking I didn't have any part of a HRC kit... Is there a way I can tell if the cam I have in the bike now is ab actual HRC cam or not? I'd hate to get this new cam only to find out that I already have the exact camshaft in the bike.

*Shrug* I've ridden a HRC 450R a few years back and it seemed like it had more scoot than mine... I'm just wondering if I have everything minus the cam on the bike already, or perhaps already have a older HRC cam on it, etc...

Is the any way I can verify what camshaft is actually in my bike?

either or, I'll have a HRC kit minus the camshaft up for sale here soon if anyone is interested. $100 shipped. PM me if interested

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Dang...I dont recall what they are stamped........

but.....I would do the following...since your already checking everything out...

when you get your HRC cam.....simply compare it to the cam you have installed..... .there will be a NOTICEABLE difference in the lobes......since they have holes drilled in the end of the lobes, you can use this as a reference point to determine if they appear identical...or if one appears to have taller lobes....especially on the intake lobes.....all you have to do is remove your valve cover and take a look......

also....toss that #185... way too fat for your 06 FCR equipped machine..... that kinda tells me that someone pieced a kit together and put in certain parts......and that #185 may have been left over from an 04/05 HRC kit and installed in your machine by mistake..... if she feels like she just wont rev out in the upper gears......this is the reason.... she is way rich on top.....

I suggest a complete inspection of the jetting and suspected parts........

let us know what you have and dont have on your bike....then go from there...

good luck...me~

·
Registered
898 Posts
i beleive the hrc cams have three grooves around the camshaft opposite end of the cam flange.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when you get your HRC cam.....simply compare it to the cam you have installed..... .there will be a NOTICEABLE difference in the lobes......since they have holes drilled in the end of the lobes, you can use this as a reference point to determine if they appear identical...or if one appears to have taller lobes....especially on the intake lobes.....all you have to do is remove your valve cover and take a look......[/b]
I was just gonna mention the holes... I did notice that the cam had two 1/8-1/4" size holes on end of the lobes.. forgot to mention that last night. Obviously I can't compare cams until I receive the other cam which should be here tomorrow/Mondayish. Would me taking a picture potentially help any of you guys by looking at the physical cam itself?

Regarding the jetting... if the main jet is a #185 and thats too fat/rich, what should my jet settings be?

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I would recommend 160-165 on the Main jet...... #42 - #45 on the pilot..... but this will depend on the needle.... when you inspect yours......find out whether your needle is fixed (only one slot for the clip)...or adjustable.....(multiple slots)...if adjustable....it is probably the HRC needle........

jmho.....Greg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would recommend 160-165 on the Main jet...... #42 - #45 on the pilot..... but this will depend on the needle.... when you inspect yours......find out whether your needle is fixed (only one slot for the clip)...or adjustable.....(multiple slots)...if adjustable....it is probably the HRC needle........

jmho.....Greg[/b]
Looked at the carb again... the Main Jet is a #185 like I mentioned above.. the needle has multiple slots, however the clip is on the third slot down from the top.. I'm guessing the pilot is the nut that screws on top of the needle to hold it in... If this is the case, the pilot plug says "51" on it... So if I'm reading your suggestions right, the top plug should say #45 and I'll have to change the main jet to a #165. Where should the needle setting be at? still 3rd down?

Another question: Once I have all the above jets in, do I turn the adjustment screw thats located on the bottom of the carb clock wise all the way, then back it out (counter clockwise) 1/2 turn? The HRC manual says "1/2 turn in from standard" Whats standard? Do I also have to mess with the accelerator pump settings?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dunno if anyone will be able to tell if this is a stock cam or a HRC cam but here's a few large pictures. Click to enlarge.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts