Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m sick of my stock axle nut coming loose. I torque them to spec, loctite them, and check them frequently, but they still seem to come loose out on the trails or in the dunes. The only thing that kinda works is wrapping them with tape, but that doesn’t necessarily keep them tight and the tape doesn’t last very long. So I’m looking for feedback on locking axle nuts. Is a simple style like the Mod Quad locking axle nut good enough, or should a guy really step up to the anti-fade RPM or LSR style hub? Thanks!

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts
Friend had the lonestar setup, loved it no issues. easy to adjust. I have the modquad one but havent put it on yet cause mine dont loosen.

Hoser: I lock mine with red loctite and then use tusk axle wrenches with breaker bars making sure its **** tight. never had one come loose. BUT I also religiously clean the threads and stuff when I do have it apart.

·
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! I’ve looked at the LSR setup, and it’s a bit cheaper, but I’ve always kinda preferred RPM, but the two don’t look that different. Well I hope that your nut loosens up soon so you can try that modquad nut out and give me some feedback lol! I use the same wrenches, but in Motion Pro flavor, and they get torqued to spec, but I use blue loctite to make pulling it apart a bit easier. This last ride was a fresh complete quad rebuild, only had a couple days of riding in the dunes on it, and then the first trail ride with lots of water it loosened up.

·
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shouldn't you have a cotter pin on the axle nut to keep it from coming loose?
We’re talking about the inner and outer lock nuts on the axle bolt next to the brake hub, it’s basically what holds your axle in the carrier. It sounds like you are thinking of the hub nut at the end of the axle.

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts
Thanks for the response! I’ve looked at the LSR setup, and it’s a bit cheaper, but I’ve always kinda preferred RPM, but the two don’t look that different. Well I hope that your nut loosens up soon so you can try that modquad nut out and give me some feedback lol! I use the same wrenches, but in Motion Pro flavor, and they get torqued to spec, but I use blue loctite to make pulling it apart a bit easier. This last ride was a fresh complete quad rebuild, only had a couple days of riding in the dunes on it, and then the first trail ride with lots of water it loosened up.

lol

yea idk man mine has been sitting waiting to go on but it never seems to loosen. not on any of the 450's or 400's i had lol. then again red loctite works wonders maybe

Reactions: El Mamito USMC

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I have never had trouble with mine loosening without loctite. I tighten them pretty tight and will wrap them with tape for precaution but never any trouble. Is it loosening against the bearings or just the 2 nuts loosening and separating?

·
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On mine the jam or lock nut comes loose, then the big nut comes loose and I get lateral movement of the axle in the carrier. I’m surprised that not many other people are having issues with them coming loose, it seems like every quad I look at the nut is loose, and they come loose on my quads regularly as well. I’m just a bit apprehensive about using red loctite, I don’t want a big hassle when I go to pull the axle.

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts
I use plenty of red loctite. Nothing a torch cant undo in about 5 seconds. what are you using to tighten it? axle wrenches?

Wanna laugh? That nut swells fairly quick with some heat. I once stripped one out cause I went at it like a min later and it hadnt cooled enough and i put too many unnga dunngas on it and stripped it lol.

·
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use blue Loctite, the Motion Pro axle nut wrenches, and everything is torqued to spec using the torque spec for the wrenches.

I’m not a big fan of using heat to loosen nuts, and it seems like I’m pulling axles out regularly, so I like the idea of a locking axle nut. I’m just not sure which style I want to go with.

Lol, yeah, that’s why I tend to nut use heat unless it’s a last resort.

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts
meh the heat just breaks the loctite hoser. Nothing has loosened up on 3 different bikes for me and a buddies I did this way. But yea when your int he field and dont have a torch it might be an issue lol

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts
hey Hoser, Ill be trying out that modquad nut I think lol

Was riding this weekend and nailed an unseen stump that almost took the bars out of my hands. Thank god for the steering stablizer, however. IDK if the fronts good, seems ok. But the rear, I bent the axle. It happened so quick I think I nailed it with the back tire somehow. Ive been riding 400's and 450's for years and Ive bent a lot of stuff but never the axle.

Sucker wobbles nice. Id post a video but IDK how here besides uploading it to you tube. Im praying its just the axle, the wheels are like a year old. But I bought hubs and an axle. I couldnt stomach the price of the AM stuff and Im not buying rocky mountain tusk junk.

·
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow that sucks! It’s not too often you see a bent axle. I had a buddy bend his on a 450, we bent it back decent enough to get through the the weekend, but it still wobbled a bit and he replaced it.

Time to try out that Modquad locking nut!!

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts
Wow that sucks! It’s not too often you see a bent axle. I had a buddy bend his on a 450, we bent it back decent enough to get through the the weekend, but it still wobbled a bit and he replaced it.

Time to try out that Modquad locking nut!!
Im praying nothing else is damaged. Gonna go look it over in a bit again

edit: oh my the left front tire is facing inwards and its not the tie rod... here comes new (used) spindle, ball joints and tie rod ends probably. Already got the spindle and lower ball joints on the way

now to figure out how to press the ball joints out of these houser arms.

·
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dude that sucks.

Make sure you check the frame mounting points where the arms bolt on, make sure nothing is bent there.

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts
Dude that sucks.

Make sure you check the frame mounting points where the arms bolt on, make sure nothing is bent there.
Nah everything seems fine. No bent components. I did replace the spindle and lower ball joint just because however. I have tie rods, tie rod ends and stuff sitting waiting to go on if need be Got it all buttoned up today, didnt see any issues. Spent a good hour messing around with the frontend making sure stuff was tight as I heard a clicking like a loose component. Puck stabilizer was loose at the mount..good ol' loctite to the rescue.

I noticed when in the air its off a bit-could just be my eyes playing tricks tho. Put it on the ground and its fine. Im gonna measure it however but had enough for one day.

Axles done too, wheel doesnt seem to be bent which is hilarious cause the axle is way thicker steel than alloy wheel. Also changed the valve cover gasket and clutch cover gasket since they were leaking.

Too bad its raining like a mofo outside to test it all out.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I have the LSR antifade locknut hub. Its a must have if you ask me. It makes removing and replacing the axle a million times easier. Just tighten it hand tight and tighten the pinch bolts... thats it! To remove just loosen the pinch bolts and loosen it with your bare hands. I will never mess with the stock axle nuts ever again.

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts
I have the LSR antifade locknut hub. Its a must have if you ask me. It makes removing and replacing the axle a million times easier. Just tighten it hand tight and tighten the pinch bolts... thats it! To remove just loosen the pinch bolts and loosen it with your bare hands. I will never mess with the stock axle nuts ever again.
FWIW this go around I had bought some motion pro axle nut wrenches. The one is a box end that fits over the larger nut, sucker has to be tapped on and DOES NOT slip. The wrench for the axle nut itself also is sorta hooked on the end so it doesnt slip. a min with the torch and those wrenches and breaker bars and it was done. Im made i cant find the modquad lock nut I bought tho.I used a bit of red loctite on it too as usual. it wasnt loose and its been a year since I had it off and it was still tight from last time.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0479-45-5mm-Wrench/dp/B009D3ALK4[/ame]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts