Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In different posts I have read that the 400EX only has 3 bearings, where the 450R has 4. I just ordered all the bearings and seals for mine, for when my new axle arrives. So looking at my parts diagram, going from the disc side it goes:

O-Ring
dust seal
bearing
O-ring
collar
O-ring
bearing
bearing
dust seal
O-ring

Is this wrong?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Yah it only has 3 because i just finsihed changing mine out...if you want to save money on the berings just go to service honda get the size and then go to a universal bearing place....its a lot cheeper...up here neways.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by fast@Sep 25 2004, 04:18 PM
i think bingenut is also from canada also y can't u just use the old ones?
I'm not using the old ones, because I felt a little play in the axle, so since I will be having the axle out, it is not a big job to put the new bearings in.

·
Registered
391 Posts
What you can also do since you are noticing play in the axle is where there are two bearings side by side you can replace them with a double row self aligning ball bearing. This will allow for more mis'alignment, higher load capacities "thrust and axle" and basically a stronger more reliable bearing than if you were to install two single row ball bearings that are not designed to handle any thrust loads. This is probably why you are experiencing play in your axle. Just my 02. :D

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I am glad I decided to change mine, when I removed the dust seals, you could see the bearing was all busted up, when I punched it out, it fell out in pieces. This was on the side where there was only 1 bearing (brake side I believe). I wonder if it would be a good idea to machine out the inside of the carrier, so that you could put 2 bearings like the other side, or "replace them with a double row self aligning ball bearing", as was suggested by quadboy.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by BingeNut@Sep 28 2004, 12:18 PM
Well, I am glad I decided to change mine, when I removed the dust seals, you could see the bearing was all busted up, when I punched it out, it fell out in pieces.  This was on the side where there was only 1 bearing (brake side I believe).  I wonder if it would be a good idea to machine out the inside of the carrier, so that you could put 2 bearings like the other side, or "replace them with a double row self aligning ball bearing", as was suggested by quadboy.
If there is room for the bore of the extra bearing or double row bearing to seat on the axle then I would say yes have it done if possible. If you ride in water, mud, creeks etc. then make sure that the bearings have what is called a rubber seal on both sides of it. The bearings will come pre-lubed and sealed from dirt,water, mud and any other contaminants that you may be riding in. This will help keep the bearings from drying out and breaking apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts