Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently seized my 06 trx450re. so im contemplating rebuilding it myself, or getting it rebuilt. I don't really have the time to rebuild it, but I would like the experience! However, we are a young family on the go, and I already spend to much time with my toys, so im wondering how much im gonna be looking at for someone to rebuild it for me. My question is...What is the going rate for a complete rebuild? I have a real good feeling that im gonna get bent over at the dealer!

·
Truck Yea
5,683 Posts
Well, absolute min would be a piston around 200-250 bucks just to buy and installation. Prob around 300-400 total depending on what else ya need.

That assumes it just needs a topend. If worse you could be talking big bucks. Find ANYONE else but the dealer, they will charge you so much you might as well buy a new quad!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
where you located? and put all NEW crank berings and oil pump while its open. check the tranny gears and use oem gaskets

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
The last time I checked the labor was around 700. That did not include machine work like valves, porting, case machining (if needed).

The total cost to rebuild your motor will be unknown by anyone including the shop you pick for the work until parts are inspected and the parts you want to use for the rebuild are picked.
The total cost can vary so much by the parts you pick. Take the cylinder for example, you can spend a couple hundred for a new oem or close to a grand for a sparks
You can buy a new oem crank for around $300 or a stock stroke hot rods for about $225 or have your oem crank rebuild for $800 with a better rod, balanced, and welded or even buy a fail icon for 2 grand.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Crank, cylinder, piston, bearings, plus all the small parts cost me 1k in parts and I did the work myself so add a 700 of labor maybe a % for the parts so they are a bit more expensive at a shop, should be close to 2k if you have the same damage that I had

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...that's what I thought. Big Bucks! Well I think I might leave it for a winter project. I have a couple dirtbikes ill use for the summer anyhow. Ill definatly be back here in the winter! You guys are a great help!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
save up your money as time go by. When you're ready to do winter rebuild... you'll have the money ready! Send your motor to a reputable builder and start doing everything else while you wait for the motor to arrive at your doorstep. When it does arrive back, you'd be ready for it and already have everything else for the bike.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I just did mine... once you open it , hit me up and I can guide you on the cheapest places to get QUALITY parts for it..

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
He might not be waiting around 7 years to answer your question

What kind of rebuild are you planning? Stock, stock bore /stroke but with high comp? Big bore stroker?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts