Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two sundays ago I participated in a local MX race, and i had the misfortune that one of my rear 18in tires got damaged, so i was forced to race with my regular desert tires (arttrax 20in)
After comparing them side by side, I can say i did not feel any disadvantages while racing with 20in. tires in a MX track, the only drawback happened at the holeshot of the first motto, when i tried to launch in 2nd gear as i usually do, everybody jumped on me....however, this was corrected for the 2nd motto by launching in 1st gear and i even took the holeshot.

I know that there must be some advantages in running smaller tires, however, it might be the case where it only benefits higher level riders (I usually run c-class races, or maybe even some B-class, finishing in the last places) did not even feel the difference even while cornering.]

one thing to note, is that arttrax 20inch tires look somewhat smaller compared to 20in. itp tires.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,251 Posts
If your bike is properly set-up for MX and your 18" tires, it will be night and day different between the two. Higher CG, different gear ratio, and more tire roll should be easily felt, especially on an MX track.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, the thing is that my quad is setup for desert riding , i do about 60/40 desert/mx riding, and I usually run stock gearing regardless. its one of those cases where i can not focus my quad on a specific riding style since i participate in both kinds of events year round. so up until now i`ve just been changing the tires

1 - 3 of 3 Posts