Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK oversized buckets i have been told are for rbc cams and full base cams are ok with std size buckets
Is this correct
If so are web cams larger lift cams rbc or full as they have on their web site product info that over sized buckets are needed
i had seen on earlier big cams o/s buckets but of late they seem to bew std size
What is the facts please on this subject

·
Registered
809 Posts
Dont get caught up in all that nonsense....

Just more $$ to try to control harsh web cam profiles.....

We went through this 2 years ago and it seemed everyone just had to have these large buckets.

Well that fad came and left and I dont think theres many who now run them....

I used giant cams much larger than the web cams they suggest using the big buckets for and have had no issues.

Reduced base circles really should'nt have all that much to do with needing big buckets. If anything, if you took the same size profile and one was a reduced base circle, the overall size of the lobe ( from center of camshaft to top of the lobe peak) would be smaller on the R.B. cam and is less likely to contact past the edge of the bucket.

The thing with reduced base circles is they can be a bit harsher if the profile already existed and they then cut the base circle down from there to achieve more lift and duration. It will make opening and closing ramps more radical.

More radical opening and closing ramps equal better power numbers but kill the valve train. The reasoning for that is you can get the valve open quickly and close it quickly so you can get more in and more out of the cylinder (more duration) but that pounds on the seats, valves, springs, even shims..... Along with more duration, bigger low lift opening #'s help in the power department.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Dont get caught up in all that nonsense....

Just more $$ to try to control harsh web cam profiles.....

We went through this 2 years ago and it seemed everyone just had to have these large buckets.

Well that fad came and left and I dont think theres many who now run them....

I used giant cams much larger than the web cams they suggest using the big buckets for and have had no issues.

Reduced base circles really should'nt have all that much to do with needing big buckets. If anything, if you took the same size profile and one was a reduced base circle, the overall size of the lobe ( from center of camshaft to top of the lobe peak) would be smaller on the R.B. cam and is less likely to contact past the edge of the bucket.

The thing with reduced base circles is they can be a bit harsher if the profile already existed and they then cut the base circle down from there to achieve more lift and duration. It will make opening and closing ramps more radical.

More radical opening and closing ramps equal better power numbers but kill the valve train. The reasoning for that is you can get the valve open quickly and close it quickly so you can get more in and more out of the cylinder (more duration) but that pounds on the seats, valves, springs, even shims..... Along with more duration, bigger low lift opening #'s help in the power department.[/b]
EXACTLY :thumbsup:

THERES A FEW THAT RAN BIG BUCKETS AND STILL HAD PROBLEMS......... SOOOOO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts