Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good old 450's still fairly stock, motor wise at the moment. I know everyone's talking about the drop in cams. Has anyone out there gone all the way with porting valve job and the big cams.

I'm at the point where I want to go into the motor, high comp piston and send the head off. Just been sitting on the fence, seeing what everyone has to say. So it's all the way or just a HRC kit. I'm thinking all the way :)

Any help is appreciated as always.

p.s. Hulkamania forever brother!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Originally posted by the_hulkamaniac@Jul 16 2004, 03:31 PM
My good old 450's still fairly stock, motor wise at the moment.  I know everyone's talking about the drop in cams.  Has anyone out there gone all the way with porting valve job and the big cams. 

I'm at the point where I want to go into the motor, high comp piston and send the head off.  Just been sitting on the fence, seeing what everyone has to say.  So it's all the way or just a HRC kit.  I'm thinking all the way :)

p.s.  Hulkamania forever brother!
[snapback]11033[/snapback]​
i bet ALOT of people can respond to this now.. :popc1:

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
i can't keep track of whet you are doing Hulk....

i thought you blew up at least 2 motors :dunno: ...then there was the falicon stroker crank...don't know if you ever ran that, or we just discussed it itn the forums....big bores...strokers...explosions.....

lets catch everybody up (well, mostly me :unsure: )...on what you have had running so far...and what all parts you have available at this moment

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Not sure if it's "major" enough, but I'm running a head that Mix setup pretty wicked. This head's equipped with:

1) crf cam tower to fit with

2) Megacycle X1 cam

3) sunken valve guides for cam clearance

4) kibblewhite valves in +1/+2mm sizes

5) kibblewhite valve springs + titanium retainers

6) fully ported to match with the larger valves

7) ceramic coating of combustion chamber + intake and exhaust ports

This thing just hauls.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jul 16 2004, 01:31 PM

This post is almost 2 years old. How the he!! did it get dug up?

But i'm game, a quick motor history for fun:

-99mm 13.5-1 kamakazi none of these lasted but it was fun for it's short life.
-97mm 14-1 kamakazi my fave but this is the one, I completely blew apart last year.
-then came the falicon 98mm x 70.4 this is what I ran up into the winter but I got this one hot or something didn't blow it really but never cured the head gasket problem. Think I warped it? Also tried a few thing to mess with the compression. It's been down since x-mas or nov when I went to school. According to G it wasn't to learn how to fix motor's. :slap:

So now the motor that I am putting together, well not me but a friend and motorcycle mech. It was hard to get him to do it I think he's a yamaha guy hates honda, but I think he's excited about this build. It still a stroker, 70.4mm with a 101mm bore n-motion slug. It's a nice piston except for being a wiseco, so it's a spray and pray for the wrist pin. 13.5 stroker comp. The crank is off getting rebuilt and balanced for the piston. The bottom end is getting re-bearinged everyone. He was worried about the forks and dogs knowing my shifting/driving methods. The gears are good so just new forks since were going this far.

Your cylinder head, again thanks. Everyone who has seen it had nothing but praise for your work. :drink: hrc cam the old one, thanks G. Never tried this cam yet so it's about time. I have a carb at Dasa getting bored I think Dan is going to 44mm, also trying one of his pipes. Still running the rekluse clutch with a hinson just doubled the amount of tungston bearings, and my first new clutch for this motor. I think that's it.

One more thing John, my mech was talking about blending the intake port to match the new carb. I told him I was a bit leary about this not wanting anyone else to mess with your work. Your thought's on this, is there even a need to touch it?

·
What Ever In Season
1,602 Posts
one word do a

search :slap:

My good old 450's still fairly stock, motor wise at the moment. I know everyone's talking about the drop in cams. Has anyone out there gone all the way with porting valve job and the big cams.

I'm at the point where I want to go into the motor, high comp piston and send the head off. Just been sitting on the fence, seeing what everyone has to say. So it's all the way or just a HRC kit. I'm thinking all the way 

This post is almost 2 years old. How the he!! did it get dug up?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah but who digs up a 2 year old post no one ever replied to. Especialy on info that get discussed almost daily.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Originally posted by the_hulkamaniac@May 28 2006, 02:59 PM
Yeah but who digs up a 2 year old post no one ever replied to.  Especialy on info that get discussed almost daily.
[snapback]242558[/snapback]​

HAHAHaa.....The same guy who cuts the end off of a brand new Rossy :lol2:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Originally posted by mixxer@May 28 2006, 10:19 AM
i can't keep track of whet you are doing Hulk....

i thought you blew up at least 2 motors :dunno: ...then there was the falicon stroker crank...don't know if you ever ran that, or we just discussed it itn the forums....big bores...strokers...explosions.....

lets catch everybody up (well, mostly me :unsure: )...on what you have had running so far...and what all parts you have available at this moment
[snapback]242479[/snapback]​

I sense frustration Mr. Ziehl :nana:

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Originally posted by the_hulkamaniac@May 28 2006, 01:59 PM

One more thing John, my mech was talking about blending the intake port to match the new carb.  I told him I was a bit leary about this not wanting anyone else to mess with your work.  Your thought's on this, is there even a need to touch it?
[snapback]242542[/snapback]​

geeez.... i though this was a brand new thread... didn't notice the dates on the posts...

i would most definately match the carb & boot to the intake port for a bigger setup....

and honestly, i would change the port volumes a bit on that head for an engine as big as you are building....

if you would like me to do all of that....just send me the head + carb + boot when you have your carb finished up.... i'll be happy to hook you up

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Originally posted by mixxer+May 28 2006, 04:13 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-the_hulkamaniac
@May 28 2006, 01:59 PM

One more thing John, my mech was talking about blending the intake port to match the new carb.  I told him I was a bit leary about this not wanting anyone else to mess with your work.  Your thought's on this, is there even a need to touch it?
[snapback]242542[/snapback]​

geeez.... i though this was a brand new thread... didn't notice the dates on the posts...

i would most definately match the carb & boot to the intake port for a bigger setup....

and honestly, i would change the port volumes a bit on that head for an engine as big as you are building....

if you would like me to do all of that....just send me the head + carb + boot when you have your carb finished up.... i'll be happy to hook you up
[snapback]242576[/snapback]​
[/b]

What a guy you are :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Originally posted by the_hulkamaniac@May 28 2006, 12:59 PM
Still running the rekluse clutch with a hinson just doubled the amount of tungston bearings, and my first new clutch for this motor.
Can you explain to me why you doubled the amount of tungsten bearings? Running a Rekluse myself on a modded motor and I'd like any secrets you have about that.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Serdish when I was talking to one fellow at rekluse, when ordering some maintenance parts. I told him about the motor I was building and he said on some of the bikes with heavly modded motors were adding 5 more tungston bearings. To increase clamping pressure and speed. It should make it less likely to slip, it will have a tungston bearing every two rather then every 5 like the original. I don't think I had any problems with the rekluse, still using most of my original plates. I also have tolerances set at .030? or tighter.

John I will be glad to send you the head again for what ever you wish to do with it. I will send a retainer for time material ect... do I need bigger valves? can you pm me your addy, and I will get it off to you tomarrow. I will have Dan ship you the carb, you should try it out while you have it.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Hulk, that's some great info. I thought I felt it slip a couple times last night in the TT race. I need to play with it today and check the adjustment. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No prob dude, when running this clutch mine could never be letout in gear while sitting or it would stall. It was more or a log bumping stall device for me.

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
Originally posted by BackSpace@May 28 2006, 06:54 PM
What a guy you are   :thumbsup:

is there a charge :dunno: or is it free :popc1:
[snapback]242668[/snapback]​

once someone has my handiwork on their heads, the updates are freebies..

they just have to cover the shipping costs...and buy me a beer :drink:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts